How Many Clubs Still Have A 1-26?

Old January 24th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How Many Clubs Still Have A 1-26?

Yes S o F, I think you might be right. When I first moved down here to FL and joined a club telling the guys I was a 1-26 driver, I got a few sneers and many stories of the dismall performance of 1-26's in general. The day I brought my ship out to the gliderport, I got alot of "wooo....ahhhh's", and a number of members after taking a little spin in my ship, came down with big smiles on their faces lol. The next week when I went for a little 140 mile run while the glass guys were afraid to leave the field, all of the sneers finaly disappeared lol.
Old February 14th 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:41:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Folks, I'm doing an informal survey. How many of you are members of a club that still has a 1-26 in your club fleet?

Not enough!
Old March 12th 18, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Two at the Niagara Soaring club in Cambria, NY
Old March 12th 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 8:41:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Folks, I'm doing an informal survey. How many of you are members of a club that still has a 1-26 in your club fleet?

Hamilton Soaring Club Hamilton Tx has a 1-26E flown frequently
Old March 13th 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PAGA

And 686, which is a 1-26E too.
Old March 13th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PAGA

And 686, which is a 1-26E too, located at 1N7 (flying with ACA)
Old March 17th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

months late to this thread, but in the case of CCSC (the one in California), the main issue with taking the glider XC is the lack of a properly equipped trailer setup. When I was president I tried to encourage people to take on the project of equipping a trailer to make it an XC machine, but couldn't get any takers to own the project and make it happen.

We have a DG100 with a decent trailer that is ready to go. Most people interested in pursuing XC are making the jump to the DG.

Maybe the rule should be that you can't go XC in the DG until you go in the 1-26 and you can't go in the 1-26 until you get the trailer situation corrected.

Morgan

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 2:33:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi Cindy, thanks for the reply. I have studied the 1-26 assoc database and also the FAA database but that doesn't really give a feel for if those ships are actually active or airworthy.

I am working on ways to help clubs to utilize their 1-26's for more xc activities. I feel that we need to re introduce many clubs and their members to the virtues of these birds as a fantastic and safe way to give folks a taste of xc and also competition.

I have always had a suspicion, with a few exceptions, that while many clubs still have a 1-26 on their roles, they are fairly under utilized in favor of the more advanced ships. I know in my club, our 1-26 has been pretty idle with folks either flying the grob 103 solo or transitioning into our discus.

In addition to developing ways to get these ships up and productive again, one of the biproducts is the 1-26 Association stays alive with new membership and possibly new attendees for our nationals.

Dan

U.S. Clubs jsbrake[_2_] Soaring 6 March 19th 10 01:50 PM
Reliability and Clubs... [email protected] Piloting 23 August 27th 06 04:27 PM
SSA at Sun-N-Fun - Need New Clubs Stuart Grant Soaring 4 April 21st 05 07:42 AM
Our clubs new glider Brad Soaring 1 October 6th 04 06:59 AM
Clubs Chris G. Piloting 2 July 23rd 03 09:24 PM