Installing ALL of FS5.1 from CD to HD

Old September 25th 04, 09:40 AM
Greg.S

Default Installing ALL of FS5.1 from CD to HD

Can anyone give me an easy guide on how to install MS FS5.1 completely
to my hard drive so that I won't need to insert the CD every time I
run it?

Many thanks.

PS. Yes I know it's an ancient version, but I am running a poor old
486DX266
Old September 27th 04, 08:34 AM
JJ

WHY???????????
Why would you even want to look at such an outdated thing?

I LOVED FS98, but dropped it a month after I got FS2K2, and dropped 2k2
as soon as I got FS2K4.

Old September 27th 04, 08:37 PM
Greg.S

"JJ" wrote in message roups.com...
WHY???????????
Why would you even want to look at such an outdated thing?

I LOVED FS98, but dropped it a month after I got FS2K2, and dropped 2k2
as soon as I got FS2K4.

I asked about how to install all of FS5 on my HD. I didn't ask
anyone's opinion on an old version of FS. It's old, my PC is old, but
it's a good flight sim. Just because FS2004 is AMAZING, it doesn't
magically make the old one stop working well.

I have since found out how to do it anyway. I copied all the scenerey
directories over and told FS5 where the scenerey files are to be
found. Oh, and I disabled the CD boosters too. I can now use FS5
without needing the CDROM at all.
Old October 8th 04, 09:56 PM
Twilight dreamer

On 25 Sep 2004 01:40:37 -0700, (Greg.S) wrote:

There are two ways that you can try to get rid of the CD-ROM. In both
cases you need the copy the folders Africa, Antarcti,Asia, Europe,
Namerica, Oceania and Samerica to a folder on your harddisk with a
name of no more than 8 characters.For example FS5CDROM.

With the first method you go to the scenery library and change the
source of the CD-ROM performance boosters, so E:\SAMERICA becomes
C:\FS5CDROM\SAMERICA if your cd-rom was E: and your Harddisk C: . But
i much confess i didn't try this so i don't no if it will work.

The second method takes a bit more work. First go to the scenery
folder of Afrika on your Harddisk. There are two files in it and a
couple of folders withs contain the BGL files. Delete the two files
BSTINFO and BOOSTER, put the BGL files in the Scenery folder and than
delete the now empty folders. Repeat this with the other folders
including the texture folders.

Now start FS5 and got to the scenery library. Turn of all the CD-ROM
performance boosters and than go to the scenery area files. The
entries withs have CDROM before it, are the ones you must change,
because they point to the Cache files. So for example
C:\FLTSIM5\CACHE\AFRICACH can become C:\FS5CDROM\AFRICA

If you have changes all the entries FS5 should now look for all it
files on your Harddisk and the cd-rom can be safely put away.

Albert.

This is my life of sadness,
this is the life i live.
This is my life of gladness,