Niagara Falls overflight

Old May 30th 04, 09:32 PM
Bartscher

Default Niagara Falls overflight

Does anyone have experience with flying near the falls on the US side for
sightseeing. I'm flying into Buffalo at the end of June and if possible I'd
like to fly by the falls. I see that the VFR chart references special VFR
procedures, routes, & recommendations that are detailed in the AFD, so I'll
have to buy a copy for New York airports next time I'm at the FBO.

In the mean time, if anyone with experience could paraphrase what the
procedures were and how well it went (i.e. can you get a good view, are there
tour helicopters everywhere, etc...), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric
Old May 30th 04, 09:46 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Bartscher) said:
In the mean time, if anyone with experience could paraphrase what the
procedures were and how well it went (i.e. can you get a good view, are there
tour helicopters everywhere, etc...), I'd appreciate it.

You stay about 3,500 feet, the helicopters stay below 3,000 feet, no
problem. Go early in the day when it's less crowded if you possibly can.
I've gone dozens of times, and only once seen another plane before noon.
Yesterday there were two other planes in the pattern at 3:30pm, and with
the convection making it hard to hold altitude, it was a little tense for
me.

The AFD (and the Canada Flight Supplement) detail the race-track pattern
you have to fly. You fly a right hand turn elliptical pattern - right
hand so that your passengers get a good view, elliptical so that everybody
gets a chance over the falls. There is a dedicated frequency to
self-announce on - the helicopter pilots are VERY laconic and concise - us
amateurs are generally more descriptive. The view at 3,500 is spectacular
and unique. My pictures at
http://xcski.com/gallery/pt_iag do not do them
justice. Greg's pictures at http://xcski.com/gallery/gp_iag are slightly
better.

Do it - you won't be sorry.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"He passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the
Old May 31st 04, 03:19 AM
Peter R.

Bartscher wrote:

Does anyone have experience with flying near the falls on the US side for
sightseeing. I'm flying into Buffalo at the end of June and if possible I'd
like to fly by the falls. I see that the VFR chart references special VFR
procedures, routes, & recommendations that are detailed in the AFD, so I'll
have to buy a copy for New York airports next time I'm at the FBO.

Buy the Northeast US Airport/Facilities Directory for approximately
US $4.50. Towards the back of the directory there is a diagram of the
pattern over the falls, including the ground-based visual turnpoints,
the discreet frequency for the scenic falls overflight, and text that
explains the procedures (stay above 3,500 ft, self-announce, etc).

Buffalo approach, the closest ATC facility with whom you will be talking
if you are using VFR flight following, will also give you the discreet
frequency if you do not know it.

I have overflown the falls several times. The first time I did it I
shared the pattern with an Airbus 320! Here are some more overflight
pictures, taken in July 2002, right after I received my PPL:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/thericcs1/flights/nfalls.htm

--
Peter

Old May 31st 04, 04:41 AM
HECTOP

"Bartscher" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with flying near the falls on the US side for

every local FBO has detailed instructions posted on the wall, other than
that it's easy, you just circle and watch out for other traffic.

http://www.maxho.com/Niagara/

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 01:39 PM
Bartscher

Thanks to everyone who responded about Niagara overflights. I haven't gotten to
the airport yet to get the A/FD, but it sounds like the procedures are spelled
out pretty well.

One question I do have is regarding Canadian airspace. Looking at the pictures
and the info I found on the web, it looks like the oval racetrack pattern takes
you over both sides of the falls. This is great because you get a much better
view than I was expecting, but do I need to do anything special for entering
Canadian airspace?

Thanks,
Eric
Old May 31st 04, 03:02 PM
Peter R.

Bartscher wrote:

This is great because you get a much better
view than I was expecting, but do I need to do anything special for entering
Canadian airspace?

No, you do not need to do anything special about Canadian airspace when
overflying the falls.

--
Peter

Old May 31st 04, 07:48 PM
Rosspilot

Bartscher wrote:

This is great because you get a much better
view than I was expecting, but do I need to do anything special for

entering
Canadian airspace?

No, you do not need to do anything special about Canadian airspace when
overflying the falls.

Yeah . . . we're still allies (for the moment, at least)

www.Rosspilot.com

Old May 31st 04, 08:17 PM
HECTOP

"Rosspilot" wrote in message
Yeah . . . we're still allies (for the moment, at least)

I know this is gonna start a riot, but...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-dday31.html

France pledges to shoot down private pilots in D-Day air space
May 31, 2004
BY BEN FENTON [Ad]

ARROMANCHES, France -- Private pilots who stray into Normandy air space
during the 60th anniversary of D-Day next weekend will be shot down, French
officials said Sunday.
With at least 16 heads of state, including President Bush, attending the
ceremonies, organizers are guarding particularly against an al-Qaida attack
from the air.
It is one of the biggest security exercises in Europe since the war.
An enormous network of radar equipment has been stretched between Deauville
and Cherbourg, with early warning aircraft already in the skies.
The aircraft will be joined this week by small, remote-controlled drones.
Advanced Crotale anti-aircraft missiles have been primed, and two squadrons
of Mirage 2000 fighters are stationed nearby.
The French ministry of defense has spared no expense. It has established a
temporary air base at Carpiquet, outside the city of Caen, as the hub of its
defenses.
There, more than 800 soldiers will maintain round-the-clock surveillance,
backed by more than 50 military helicopters.
A spokesman for the 120-acre camp said: "The dangers are multiple, from a
hijacked airliner being crashed into the stands at the main international
ceremony at Arromanches to a tiny bomb being detonated remotely.
"But we are stretching an impenetrable fabric of protection above Normandy."
At sea, fishermen and pleasure craft have been banned from the Seine Bay
that stretches along the beaches code named Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and
Sword on June 6, 1944.
A French carrier, Charles de Gaulle, and an American carrier, George
Washington, will be patrolling the bay, which will also be swept for mines.
On land, more than 9,000 French troops are arriving this week, supplementing
the 6,300 gendarmes and 2,300 police officers already on duty.
Arromanches' 534 residents have been told that they must either stay indoors
throughout next Sunday or leave the area.

Daily Telegraph

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old May 31st 04, 09:31 PM
Martin Hotze

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:17:25 -0400, HECTOP wrote:

Arromanches' 534 residents have been told that they must either stay indoors
throughout next Sunday or leave the area.

well, put those 16 heads of state in a submarine and dive down wherever
they want to. there they can meet ans greet and there they can broadcast
their speeches via satellite. heck, it's in their job description that the
job might be deadly. If one gets shot bring up the next. This is not a
nurse or a doctor we are talking about, it is only a politician.

#m

--
Martin!!! Maaaaartiiiin!!! Can you please flame this guy for me?
'HECTOP' in rec.aviation.piloting