Surplus store in NYC or DC?

Old August 4th 03, 02:24 PM
Sniper

Default Surplus store in NYC or DC?

Hi guys,

does anyone of you know any military surplus store in Manhattan or
Washington DC? The kind of stuff I'm looking for is basically military-
theme T-shirts. I'll be next month in both cities (I'm from Europe) and I
won't have a car. Therefore, they should be reachable by public
transportion, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Sniper
Old August 4th 03, 07:56 PM
Joe Osman

TinCanMan wrote:

"Sniper" wrote in message
. ..
Hi guys,

does anyone of you know any military surplus store in Manhattan or
Washington DC? The kind of stuff I'm looking for is basically military-
theme T-shirts. I'll be next month in both cities (I'm from Europe) and I
won't have a car. Therefore, they should be reachable by public
transportion, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Sniper

Frank's Naval Tailors, Flushing Ave, Brooklyn NY. Take the Independent
Subway, "A" Train from 42nd st in Manhattan to High St in Bklyn and walk
down Sands St to the old Brooklyn Navy Yard follow along the brick fence to
Flushing. It's about 2 blocks down. All kinds of military paraphernalia,
uniform items and devices.

You must be fairly old to be using "Independent". I've seen
some old IRT and BMT signs, usually embedded in the wall
tiles, what did the Independent have?

Joe

Old August 4th 03, 09:20 PM
Gooneybird

As an OLD native New Yorker who hasn't been back in almost a half century, it
was the newest of the subway lines and most of its routes ran between central
and lower Manhattan into Queens and parts of Brooklyn. Unless it grew like a
mushroom in damp weather, it's probably still that.

George Z.

Old August 5th 03, 12:47 AM
TinCanMan

"Joe Osman" wrote in message
TinCanMan wrote:

"Sniper" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yep. That would be me. Old guy. The Independent Line was abbreviated "IND".
The "A" train ran up 8th ave as I remember.

Old August 5th 03, 05:15 PM
Jim McLaughlin

IRT = Interborough Rapid Transit

BMT = Brooklyn - Manhattan Transit

IND = Independent Rapid Transit

--
Jim McLaughlin
I am getting really tired of spam, so the reply address is munged.

************************************************** *************************
"TinCanMan" wrote in message

"Joe Osman" wrote in message
TinCanMan wrote:

"Sniper" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, I posted this yesterday but it didn't seem to show up, at least on

my
service, so I'll do it again.

Yep. That would be me. Old guy. The Independent Line was abbreviated

"IND".
Do you remember what IRT and BMT stand for? The "A" train ran up 8th ave

as
I remember. ISTR the "B" train ran up the 6th ave tube. Also rode the

ferry
bet. the Battery and Staten Is. as well as bet Tottenville and Perth Amboy
before all the bridges.

Old August 5th 03, 06:47 PM
Allen Thomson

Sniper wrote

Washington DC?

There used to be one in Georgetown on the south side of M street
a couple of blocks east of Key Bridge. I haven't been in DC for
a while, so don't know if it's still there.
Old August 5th 03, 10:55 PM
Jeanne

"Gooneybird" wrote in message ...
As an OLD native New Yorker who hasn't been back in almost a half century, it
was the newest of the subway lines and most of its routes ran between central
and lower Manhattan into Queens and parts of Brooklyn. Unless it grew like a
mushroom in damp weather, it's probably still that.

George Z.

There is an Army/navy store on Broadway, down in SOHO. I believe its
called
Iceberg Army and Navy at SOHO--455 Bway / phone number is
212-226-8454. Its acessible by the N or the R train which would let
you off on Prince st and thenits acouple of blocks walk.
Old August 6th 03, 12:50 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om
Sniper wrote

Washington DC?

There used to be one in Georgetown on the south side of M street
a couple of blocks east of Key Bridge. I haven't been in DC for
a while, so don't know if it's still there.

M-street Georgetown has radically upscaled in the past few years. I doubt
there are any true surplus stores there anymore. (I certainly don't
remember one last time I was down there a couple of months ago.)

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old August 6th 03, 07:57 PM
Jeanne

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message ink.net...
"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
om
Sniper wrote

Washington DC?

There used to be one in Georgetown on the south side of M street
a couple of blocks east of Key Bridge. I haven't been in DC for
a while, so don't know if it's still there.

M-street Georgetown has radically upscaled in the past few years. I doubt
there are any true surplus stores there anymore. (I certainly don't
remember one last time I was down there a couple of months ago.)

There is an Army/Navy store in SOHO, lower Manhattan,Called ICEBERG
Army/Navy Surplus 488 Broadway. Lots of great Tee shirts and stuff.
Take the N or R train to Prince street and walk 3-4 blocks.
Jeanne