Dumb & Dumber

Old June 6th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Dumb & Dumber

There are two stabilator attach points that would have been under tremendous
twisting load with her pushing waaaay out at the end of the "arm" of the
stabilator. I can't think of any in-flight condition that would put such an
asymmetric load on the bird.

The bearings/bushings are a source of stabilator wear that must be
continuously assessed.
Part of my preflight on the Cherokee Six I fly is to grasp the leading
and trailing edge free end and gently move it fore/aft/up/down to
determine the amount of play.
As I wrote back in March, I have not yet found anyone to tell me how
much play in the bearings is acceptable before grounding the aircraft
for excessive play.
Old June 6th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

I wish planes (especially rental planes) had "Do not push here!" stenciled
on tempting but inappropriate places to push.

Mine does.

The placards are available at all the Aircraft Spruce or Sporty's type
places.
Old June 6th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What kind of guy sends The Girl to push the plane?

I'm embarrased to say (but I was young, at the time), that I used to
have an old VW bug! I had to park it on hills, because 7 times out of
10 it had to be jump started. My wife (girlfriend at the time) used to
have to give me a bit of a push, from time to time, when we got into
situations that warranted it. I tried many times to have her behind
the wheel, but she just couldn't seem to figure out the whole "popping
the clutch" thing.

What kind of girl puts up with it?

Mine, thank God!!! We've been together for nearly 22 years now, and we
still laugh about how I managed to "land her", after having had her
push start my car to go on dates with me! :-)

To this day, I still open the door for her, pump gas for her and try to
do all the things a guy should do for his gal. I'm just glad she gave
a 17 year old knuck-head the benefit of the doubt! (She does know,
however, not to touch the delicate parts of the plane though!)

Best Regards,
Todd

Old June 6th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Javier wrote:
What kind of guy sends The Girl to push the plane?

A lazy one who takes the "I'd do it, but since the door is on your side
and you have to get out *anyway* ..."

What kind of girl puts up with it?

One who thinks she's helping?
Old June 6th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Stefan" wrote in message
Jay Honeck schrieb:

That stabilizer is designed to stand much more twisting force than any
real life girl could ever apply to it. Stefan

No. It isn't.

Karl
"Curator"
N185KG

Old June 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john smith wrote:
As I wrote back in March, I have not yet found anyone to tell me how
much play in the bearings is acceptable before grounding the aircraft
for excessive play.

If it comes loose i n your hands, it's probably a no-go item.

You're welcome... glad to help.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 6th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had the bushings changed out on my Seneca. I brought it to my
mechanics attention. Holding the end of the stabilizer, it had some for
and aft movement. I can't recall how much. Eigth of an inch? It was just
beyond the detectable point, anyway. Now years later, still zero play.

Old June 6th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As I wrote back in March, I have not yet found anyone to tell me how
much play in the bearings is acceptable before grounding the aircraft
for excessive play.

If it comes loose i n your hands, it's probably a no-go item.
You're welcome... glad to help.

I thought there might be something I was overlooking.
Old June 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What kind of guy sends The Girl to push the plane?

I'm embarrased to say (but I was young, at the time), that I used to
have an old VW bug! I had to park it on hills, because 7 times out of
10 it had to be jump started. My wife (girlfriend at the time) used to
have to give me a bit of a push, from time to time, when we got into
situations that warranted it.

When Mary and I first started dating, I owned a '72 VW 411. In its
hey-day, it was a fine car, with a Porsche pancake engine, and some
really unique features.

Unfortunately, I owned it long after its hey-day. The gasoline heater
would pump smoky carbon-monoxide directly into the passenger
compartment, which -- in Wisconsin, in the dead of winter -- meant that
we either froze to death or asphyxiated. We usually chose the former,
which meant that poor Mary had to scrape the windshield -- on the
INSIDE -- in order for me to see. (Hey, at least she kept warm that
way!)

And I felt bad about *THAT*. At least she didn't have to push-start
the 411!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

The gasoline heater
would pump smoky carbon-monoxide directly into the passenger
compartment,

Gasoline heater? How does that work? (resist the temptation to say "not
very well!") g
--
Jim in NC