Instr. Overhaul and Leak Test

Old January 31st 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Instr. Overhaul and Leak Test

I tested my static/pitot system per Mike Borgelt's
instructions and found immediately my airspeed indicator
(used as the pressure gauge) had a small leak.

Right before Christmas, I sent the instrument to 'Century
Instrument Corporation' in Wichita, Kansas for overhaul.
The overhaul fee, including new colors on the dial,
was going to run, oh, about US$150. In late January,
during my third phone call to them asking about the
status, I was told the instrument needed a new bellows
(or whatever) and the cost would be US$425. I did
not authorize any such work and told them to send it
back to me. The person on the phone did agree that
I did not authorize this work and they will take out
the new bellows and send back the (paper weight) airspeed
indicator to me.

I have since ordered and received a new Winter airspeed
indicator. The damaged instrument was not a Winter
instrument.

Recommendation: Don't send any work to Century Instrument
in Wichita.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old January 31st 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And I recommend staying away from Becker instruments. My AR4201
transceiver, less than 5 years young, is in their Florida shop for a
new circuit board, $604 plus round trip shipping.

Old January 31st 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Once upon a long time ago, I had a leak in a "non-sensitive" altimeter on a
1946 taildragger. Aircraft instruments are only supposed to be repaired by
an authorized instrument repair facility - -which really is irrelevant as no
repair parts are available for such an old original instrument. That aside,
the small crack in an inner fold of the brass bellows was easily repaired
with a bit of solder. A simple no-cost repair, I might add. Has worked
flawlessly for a dozen years since.

bumper

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message

And I recommend staying away from Becker instruments. My AR4201
transceiver, less than 5 years young, is in their Florida shop for a
new circuit board, $604 plus round trip shipping.

What did they say was wrong with it?

--
T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old January 31st 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't remember exactly what the guy said ... a whole circuit board had
to be replaced ... not happy either about the fact that they have sent
it back COD via UPS. They don't take credit cards ...