OSH '04 -- Best ever?

Old August 15th 04, 10:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

could it be that you just mixed Austria with Australia?

Doubtful, as Austria didn't exist at that time.

Old August 15th 04, 11:12 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:51:21 -0500, Big John wrote:

Martin

Guess you would rather be speaking Japanese today?

Japan was almost ready to invade Australia when the US sent troops,

[... big snip here ...]

could it be that you just mixed Austria with Australia?

Yeah, if it wasn't for the US, you'd be speaking German now.

:-)

Paul (tongue firmly in cheek)

Old August 16th 04, 01:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

could it be that you just mixed Austria with Australia?

Doubtful, as Austria didn't exist at that time.

Everytime when one references the WWII time and says something like "you

folks
in Austria" it is references to the people living in the geographic area

of
Austria, albeit the state Austria hasn't existed at that time. At least we

here
in Europe udnerstand it that way, YMMV.

So what you're trying to say is you meant the region formerly known as
Austria. I doubt anyone else appointed you to speak for them.

Old August 17th 04, 12:57 AM
Grasshopper

Martin Hotze wrote:
Everytime when one references the WWII time and says something like
"you folks in Austria" it is references to the people living in the
geographic area of Austria, albeit the state Austria hasn't existed
at that time. At least we here in Europe udnerstand it that way, YMMV.

I don't want to feed your argument with these folks, but the Republic of
Austria was created at the end of WW I.

Lonely Planet seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...ia/history.htm

Country Reports seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.countryreports.org/history/austhist.htm

Brigham Young University seems to think you are wrong:
http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/austria.html

Encyclopedia.com seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/sec...ia_history.asp

National Geographic seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.iexplore.com/dmap/Austria/History

World Rover seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.worldrover.com/history/austria_history.html

About Vienna seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.aboutvienna.org/history/habsburg.htm

Infoplease seems to think you are wrong:
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0856780.html

Old August 17th 04, 03:35 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

you're pretty weired ....

What's "weired"?

but let's simply agree to disagree, ok?

Let's say you don't know what you're talking about.

Old August 17th 04, 03:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Grasshopper" wrote in message

I don't want to feed your argument with these folks, but the Republic of
Austria was created at the end of WW I.

And gone before WWII.