Lexan Bend Radius

Old December 7th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Lexan Bend Radius

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Charles Vincent" wrote in message
t...
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Bending hot or cold?

I've seen references that suggest using a sheet metal brake which is an
almost negligable radius (and I assume a cold bend)

You adjust the bend radius on a sheet metal brake with the fingers through
a variety of mechanisms, the simplest being fingers with the appropriate
radius ground on their tips. If you do much sheet metal work on anything
other than HVAC ducting or roofing flashing, bend radius is a big thing.
Basically, anything structural requires attention. Do a google search on
Sheet metal Brake and you will see a number of variations. The following
link:

http://www.randmachine.com/sheetmetalbrake.html

is for a small cheap brake. It incorporates a single blade or finger, but
it is reversible with a 3/8 inch radiused side. It mentions using the
radiused side for Lexan specifically.

Charles

Ok, I stand (sit?) corrected. I was thinking siding brake - not sheet metal
brake - My mistake. Sorry.

--
Geoff

I've bent 1/8" Lexan in a sheet metal brake, with little difficulty.
The jaws will scar the Lexan unless the protective plastic is left in
place. 1/16" Lexan is much more workable. I have a Lexan windshield in
my Jodel, ten years now, and it's scratched up pretty good. Lexan is
soft and scratches too easily compared to Plexiglass.
Lexan can be polished up for awhile using Lemon Pledge furniture
polish.

Make sure dust is washed off the windshield, not wiped off. Same
holds for Plexiglass, but Lexan is much fussier that way.

Lexan's attraction is its toughness and ease of working. Can't
break it, no problem bending or drilling it, not many birds are going
to punch through it. Needs no heating for tighter curves as Plexiglass
does, so no big ovens required.

Dan

$100 hamburger radius Stubby Piloting 30 November 13th 06 11:46 PM
East River turning radius Gary Drescher Piloting 106 November 9th 06 05:17 PM
Minimum bending radius for 0.050" 6061-T6? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 11 February 5th 04 04:59 PM
birch ply- Bend oregon? patrick mitchel Home Built 0 January 16th 04 12:40 AM
What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR? Larry Dighera Piloting 38 November 19th 03 04:04 PM