Pre-Heat at BED?

Old January 19th 05, 10:16 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

Default Pre-Heat at BED?

Any BED guys out there know if anyone offers a pre-heat service on the
field? I'm based out at the tower ramp and have found that my winter flying
takes a huge nose-dive when temps get down into the pre-heat range simply
because of the hassle of doing it. Standing outside for half an hour with a
car battery trying to keep the dragon heater lit is not my idea of fun. I
suppose you could turn a month's salary over to signature or jet to do it
but was wondering if there are any other options.

Best,
-cwk.

Old January 19th 05, 11:16 PM
Peter MacPherson

You might try one of flight schools there. I flight instruct part time
at East Coast Aero Club and they might be willing to pre-heat
your plane since they're out there all the time anyway pre-heating
their planes. Don't what it would cost or if they'd do it, but worth
a shot.

Pete

k.net...

Old January 19th 05, 11:38 PM
Bob Noel

In article t,
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote:

Any BED guys out there know if anyone offers a pre-heat service on the
field? I'm based out at the tower ramp and have found that my winter flying
takes a huge nose-dive when temps get down into the pre-heat range simply
because of the hassle of doing it. Standing outside for half an hour with a
car battery trying to keep the dragon heater lit is not my idea of fun. I
suppose you could turn a month's salary over to signature or jet to do it
but was wondering if there are any other options.

When I was on the east ramp, I would just use Signature or Jet. Not cheap,
but it was far easier than trying to do it myself. I'm not aware of anyone
else at KBED that provides a preheat service.

btw - if you want expensive, just look at the new T-hanger rates.

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old January 20th 05, 12:14 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

btw - if you want expensive, just look at the new T-hanger rates.

How bad now? Six hundred? A thousand?

Personally I'd be happy to move the plane to BVY or OWD- maybe 10-15mins
farther from me (Downtown) but well worth a bit farther drive, but since two
of my partners live in Lexington it's pretty hard for them to motivate them
to go anywhere else. One nice thing about having the 50-gal tanks in the
Skyhawk is that we rarely have to buy gas at BED. The way things are going
with Massport I might have to join the Save Our Heritage cranks just out of
spite.

-cwk.

Old January 20th 05, 05:34 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote:

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

btw - if you want expensive, just look at the new T-hanger rates.

How bad now? Six hundred? A thousand?

Two years ago, the least expensive hanger was $208/month. It was then raised to
$312/month. Starting Feb '05, it'll be raised 10%. The hanger I have now will
go from $459/month to $505/month. I'm having some difficulty justifying
that much money for a hanger.

Personally I'd be happy to move the plane to BVY or OWD- maybe 10-15mins
farther from me (Downtown) but well worth a bit farther drive, but since two
of my partners live in Lexington it's pretty hard for them to motivate them
to go anywhere else.

I live in Woburn, so LWM or OWD would be significantly farther away.

One nice thing about having the 50-gal tanks in the
Skyhawk is that we rarely have to buy gas at BED.

I get my fuel from the HAFB Aeroclub - waaay less money than the FBOs.

The way things are going
with Massport I might have to join the Save Our Heritage cranks just out of
spite.

hmmmmmm

Old January 20th 05, 03:39 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote:

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

btw - if you want expensive, just look at the new T-hanger rates.

How bad now? Six hundred? A thousand?

Two years ago, the least expensive hanger was $208/month. It was then

raised to
$312/month. Starting Feb '05, it'll be raised 10%. The hanger I have now

will
go from $459/month to $505/month. I'm having some difficulty justifying
that much money for a hanger.

Unfortunately in this area there's little question the market will bear it.
On a square-footage basis that's about what you pay for office space or an
apartment.

The way things are going
with Massport I might have to join the Save Our Heritage cranks just out

of
spite.

hmmmmmm

There's quite a debate going over whether Massport would actually be happy
to bleed us all off the field and build a bunch more corporate hangars. If
they don't want us around I sure as hell will have no reason to support
them. I actually got in a fight with one of those "no airlines at hanscom"
yahoos a few years ago. I lived in South Boston then and had a non-stop
parade of planes taking off over my house starting at 5:50am. I told this
lady in a sandwich board that they were just a bunch of NIMBY yuppies out to
screw people in the city and besides, it was probably people like her
husband filling those planes up and not carpenters and bricklayers from
Southie. Boy was that one fun... These "Stop the Noise" people on the other
hand are an absolute menace and need to be ruined.

-cwk.

Old January 21st 05, 12:02 AM
Bob Noel

In article et,
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote:

Two years ago, the least expensive hanger was $208/month. It was then

raised to
$312/month. Starting Feb '05, it'll be raised 10%. The hanger I have now

will
go from $459/month to $505/month. I'm having some difficulty justifying
that much money for a hanger.

Unfortunately in this area there's little question the market will bear it.
On a square-footage basis that's about what you pay for office space or an
apartment.

yeah, but office space or an apartment would provide more than a leaky roof
over some crappy asphalt and walls that are easily penetrated.

(-{

Old January 21st 05, 03:25 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article et,
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote:

Unfortunately in this area there's little question the market will bear

it.
On a square-footage basis that's about what you pay for office space or

an
apartment.

yeah, but office space or an apartment would provide more than a leaky

roof
over some crappy asphalt and walls that are easily penetrated.

You never saw first apartment in Brighton.

-cwk.