Annual overdue by a few days

Old May 8th 08, 06:00 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
It also depends on how far you want to ferry the plane. 50 or 100 miles
then probably no problem. No FSDO is going to give you a ferry permit
to go 1000 miles back to your home airport for an annual. They'll just
tell you to get the annual locally.

[/i][/color]
The FAA cannot dictate where you will annual an airplane. And yes, you can get a ferry permit to fly coast to coast if neccessary.
Old May 9th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Annual overdue by a few days

On May 6, 7:19*am, Newps wrote:
4 hours of wrench turning just to get at a part? * Bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhh *I
thought my 182 was bad when it took 15 minutes to get both cowl halves off..

Oh, I wasn't considering the cowl. It takes at least 1 hr of labor to
drop the cowl and put it back on in a Mooney. That's with a very
experienced A&P. It takes me more than an hour just to drop it.
Depending on the IA you can sometimes get away with leaving it on and
doing the muff inspection with a bunch of mirrors.

-Robert
Old May 9th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601Xl Builder

rotor&wing wrote:
Newps;627949 Wrote:
It also depends on how far you want to ferry the plane. 50 or 100 miles

then probably no problem. No FSDO is going to give you a ferry permit

to go 1000 miles back to your home airport for an annual. They'll just

tell you to get the annual locally.

The FAA cannot dictate where you will annual an airplane. And yes, you
can get a ferry permit to fly coast to coast if neccessary.

[/i][/color]

Sure they CAN, all they have to do is not issue the ferry permit. And
yes most FSDOs will give fairly long distance permits.
Old May 9th 08, 09:54 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 601Xl Builder View Post
rotor&wing wrote:
Newps;627949 Wrote:
It also depends on how far you want to ferry the plane. 50 or 100 miles

then probably no problem. No FSDO is going to give you a ferry permit

to go 1000 miles back to your home airport for an annual. They'll just

tell you to get the annual locally.

The FAA cannot dictate where you will annual an airplane. And yes, you
can get a ferry permit to fly coast to coast if neccessary.

[/i][/color]

Sure they CAN, all they have to do is not issue the ferry permit. And
yes most FSDOs will give fairly long distance permits.

The FAA will not withhold a ferry permit "because we want to". As long as an A&P confirms AD's are complied with and signs the logbook as well as the ferry permit the FAA could care less.
Old May 10th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

rotor&wing wrote:

The FAA will not withhold a ferry permit "because we want to". As long
as an A&P confirms AD's are complied with and signs the logbook as well
as the ferry permit the FAA could care less.

BS. The FAA can and does withhold a ferry permit so you can get an
annual 1000 miles away. There's no reason to issue a ferry permit for
an annual that far away. Get it done closer. You have no inherent
right to have your plane annualled at a certain location. One location
is as good as the next.

Old May 10th 08, 01:10 PM

rotor&wing wrote:

The FAA will not withhold a ferry permit "because we want to". As long
as an A&P confirms AD's are complied with and signs the logbook as well
as the ferry permit the FAA could care less.

BS. The FAA can and does withhold a ferry permit so you can get an
annual 1000 miles away. There's no reason to issue a ferry permit for
an annual that far away. Get it done closer.
LOL! After doing this for the past 35 years as an A&P/IA as well as a pilot this is a new one. Maybe you can site for me in the FAR's or the Airworthiness Inspectors Handbook the reference for your remark?

Go ahead and believe what you want, but it's simply not true.

BTW, years ago I picked up an Aztec in Arizona (out of annual) and ferried it (on a ferry permit) to Tennessee.

[/quote]You have no inherent
right to have your plane annualled at a certain location. One location
is as good as the next.[/quote]

You have a right to take your airplane anywhere you want. Once again, please provide the reference to back up such an inane remark.

Last edited by rotor&wing : May 10th 08 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 10th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
So, If I read that right, the annual for a privately-
registered aircraft must take place by the last day of the 12th month
following the last inspection. Therefore, an annual that last occurred
on, say, 12th May '07 must next be done by 31 May '08. Right?
Maybe the FARs have something similar.

Most time intervals specified by the FAA work that way, they expire at the
end of the month. If you play your cars right and are systematic, you can
legally get an annual every 13 months.

Generally, you have your mechanic start your annual early and then "finish"
it (sign it off) on the first day of the month after your current annual
expires.

Vaughn

Dan

Old May 10th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Vaughn Simon wrote:

Generally, you have your mechanic start your annual early and then "finish"
it (sign it off) on the first day of the month after your current annual
expires.

Or use the 13 month loophole to rotate the annual to a spot on the
calendar that is convenient for you. I get mine to February or March
for that reason.
Old May 10th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tom418

I had to get a mechanic to inspect my Seneca prior to the issuance of a
ferry permit. In addition, the 100 hr rear seat retention mechanism AD had
to be complied with. PLUS, when I took the logbooks over to the FSDO office,
they noticed that AD on my Seneca 1's turbochargers was never signed off,
and I had to get the mechanic to attest that my plane didn't have
turbochargers (as if I didn't know ) The mechanic laughed and insisted
that the AD applied to the turbochargers and not the airframe. (Several FAA
approved shops still insisted that the AD didn't apply ,but nonetheless, I
got the sign-off)

In short, make it your business to get an annual done before expiration
date.
"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:06:24 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:22:42 -0400, Peter Clark
wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:48:01 -0700 (PDT), Larry
wrote:

The ferry permit is basically a formality. The A&P gets one, signs
off that the aircraft is safe to move, and hands it to you to go get
the aircraft. Takes about 1/2 hour to arrange assuming the guy from
the FSDO is near his desk.

actually the thing about a ferry permit is that the pilot is the one
who determins whether the aircraft is flyable, the permit is basically
an own recognisance waiver to fly an "unairworthy" aircraft.
unless you yanks do it differently than in australia the A&P's opinion
doesnt come into it.
Stealth Pilot

I guess it's another FSDO bizzarity.

"§ 21.199 Issue of special flight permits.
(a) Except as provided in §21.197(c), an applicant for a special
flight permit must submit a statement in a form and manner prescribed
by the Administrator, indicating-

(1) The purpose of the flight.

(2) The proposed itinerary.

(3) The crew required to operate the aircraft and its equipment, e.g.,
pilot, co-pilot, navigator, etc.

(4) The ways, if any, in which the aircraft does not comply with the
applicable airworthiness requirements.

(5) Any restriction the applicant considers necessary for safe
operation of the aircraft.

(6) Any other information considered necessary by the Administrator
for the purpose of prescribing operating limitations.

(b) The Administrator may make, or require the applicant to make
appropriate inspections or tests necessary for safety."

I guess under paragraph B the FSDO here made me get a mechanic to sign
a box saying it was safe to move for the annual.

Old May 11th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:52:50 -0400, "tom418"
wrote:

I had to get a mechanic to inspect my Seneca prior to the issuance of a
ferry permit. In addition, the 100 hr rear seat retention mechanism AD had
to be complied with. PLUS, when I took the logbooks over to the FSDO office,

Why'd you do that?

they noticed that AD on my Seneca 1's turbochargers was never signed off,
and I had to get the mechanic to attest that my plane didn't have
turbochargers (as if I didn't know ) The mechanic laughed and insisted
that the AD applied to the turbochargers and not the airframe. (Several FAA
approved shops still insisted that the AD didn't apply ,but nonetheless, I
got the sign-off)

My last 5 annuals were late. I called the FSDO, they sent me the
papers, (I don't have a fax machine), My mechanic said, "looks OK,
signed it, and I flew it to the other airport for the annual. There
was no inspection of logs, or anything else by the FSDO. By the time
they received the paperwork the annual was already complete.

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

old days Airman Rotorcraft 23 January 2nd 07 01:36 PM
60 Days for Calibration [email protected] Soaring 7 May 1st 06 03:00 AM
Days as a hanger rat Jack Allison Owning 33 May 12th 05 03:01 AM
Just a few more days Louis L. Perley III Owning 1 December 31st 04 01:36 PM
Two bad days... Yeff Military Aviation 0 July 3rd 04 09:31 PM