Airgizmo Associated Wiring

Old January 14th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Airgizmo Associated Wiring

There are separate threads on the installation variables with the
Airgizmo dock. When I look at this "install" the plastic piece seems to
be of lesser question than the wiring.

Are the 3 cables (power, XM, GPS) attached to the existing bundles
behind the instrument panel? Is the power cable being routed to the cig.
lighter? I assume the GPS and XM cables pop out somewhere on top of the
glareshield. Right?

It would appear to me that routing and securing these cables would be
more of an issue than the plastic dock itself (although one person said
their local FAA critter is prepared to mount a regulations holy war
based on the plastic not being approved via the burn test regs).

Another thing I thought of when I was preflighting the other day was
around yoke mounted devices in general. I have had several different GPS
units yoke mounted. When I preflight and exercise the ailerons, I notice
a dramatically different load depending on the particular GPS/mount. Has
anyone determined whether this modifies the aerodynamic balance in the
ailerons for any flight regime (full deflection, slow flight, stalls,
spins, etc.)? Yoke mounted devices seem to inspire no passionate
behavior among FAA types. Anyone have any stories to tell?

I just though of a funny cartoon we could send the FAA person(s) who had
a problem with this device. How about the 396/496 installed with the
Gizmo for the first frame (neat, no exposed wires, secure). For the
second frame, we see the dock removed and a "legal" blank installed on
the panel with the 396/496 "secured" to a blank spot on the instrument
panel using safety wire and duct tape. Then, have all the wires duct
taped onto the panel too. The caption reading something like "I had the
non conforming device removed per your instructions and followed the
regulations to the letter".

Thanks,
Mike

Old January 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mike Spera wrote:

Are the 3 cables (power, XM, GPS) attached to the existing bundles
behind the instrument panel? Is the power cable being routed to the cig.
lighter? I assume the GPS and XM cables pop out somewhere on top of the
glareshield. Right?

I've never had the Gizmo but I have always hard wired my portable GPS.
I just lop off the cig lighter plug and wire it right to the electrical
bus. It's about as simple a thing as you can do. I run the wire under
an avionics access panel and tie wrap it under the panel to make it
neat. I don't need a remota antenna, the one on the GPS works fine. If
I had the XM capable unit I would hide that wire as well. I do have XM
in the plane but it's a standalone unit. It is attached to the far
upper right instrument panel and has three wires. The power wire goes
to a cig lighter that I had my mechanic install hidden under the panel
and it stays hot all the time so I can recharge my cell phone if I'm
camping in the woods. The antenna wire goes under the panel lip and
comes out on the windshield side where the antenna sits. The audio line
also goes under the panel lip and reemerges at my music in input between
the fron seats.

It would appear to me that routing and securing these cables would be
more of an issue than the plastic dock itself (although one person said
their local FAA critter is prepared to mount a regulations holy war
based on the plastic not being approved via the burn test regs).

I don't see that. Tell that guys FSDO inspector to read his regs, they
do not support what he's trying to do. Plus have you ever seen a
standard panel cover? It's the same damn stuff.

Another thing I thought of when I was preflighting the other day was
around yoke mounted devices in general. I have had several different GPS
units yoke mounted. When I preflight and exercise the ailerons, I notice
a dramatically different load depending on the particular GPS/mount. Has
anyone determined whether this modifies the aerodynamic balance in the
ailerons for any flight regime (full deflection, slow flight, stalls,
spins, etc.)? Yoke mounted devices seem to inspire no passionate
behavior among FAA types. Anyone have any stories to tell?

I have always wondered why people get so exercised about the Gizmo but
have no problem with a device attached to the airplanes controls,
something you can actually tell is there when you manipulate them.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service" Jay Honeck Owning 34 December 15th 06 04:02 AM
Garmin 396 496 Data Connector Wiring Standard mikem Owning 3 October 25th 06 04:40 AM
Garmin 396 496 Data Connector Wiring Standard mikem Home Built 3 October 25th 06 04:40 AM
Old Cambridge Vario Wiring Stewart Hamey Soaring 0 October 31st 05 01:08 AM
ball 101A wiring diagram coneil Soaring 4 June 22nd 04 06:55 AM