Emergency swimming ascent from a disabled sub

Old December 28th 04, 03:06 AM
Jack

Default Emergency swimming ascent from a disabled sub

If a sub sinks in the ocean, I assume the sailors can escape by swimming to
the surface. But what is the maximum depth that a person could do an
emergency swimming ascent from a disabled sub?

Old December 28th 04, 05:08 AM
miket6065

The Brits have this hood they have issued and if memory serves it is
workable to around 500 feet.

I found this site:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rnmedic...t/inm/subs.htm

MikeT

Old December 28th 04, 06:06 PM
David Nicholls

"miket6065" wrote in message
m...
The Brits have this hood they have issued and if memory serves it is
workable to around 500 feet.

I found this site:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rnmedic...t/inm/subs.htm

MikeT

The test I know of was from a diesel sub in the Med in the late 1950s (or
early 1960s) from 606 feet (IIRC). It was a hooded escape from a standard
submarine escape chamber. When I was in the RN submarine service (1970/80s)
we were trained that a standard escape from an escape tower was possible to
750 feet, a compartment escape (i.e. flood the entire compartment and exit)
was to 250 feet (any deeper and the last out suffer compression sickness)
and that the Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) could save us from down
to 2500 feet (below our crush depth!).

David Nicholls

Old December 29th 04, 01:39 AM
mojo

The last successful free ascent from a sunken submarine was in WWII when
part of the crew of USS Tang escaped from the sub from a depth of 180 feet.
USN submarine training includes actual simulated free escapes in 150 foot
water towers.

The deepest successful escape was from USS Squalus in 1939 from a depth of
240 feet. They used the McCann Rescue Chamber to evacuate all crew member
who survived the sinking. The McCann Chamber could have been used to rescue
the crew of the Kursk had it been there and the Kursk's hatches had been
fitted to mate to it.

The USN and other navies have newer rescue vehicles. The big surprise is
that the Russian Navy never developed any rescue techniques and equipment.

m...

Old December 29th 04, 12:51 PM

----------
In article , "mojo"
wrote:

The USN and other navies have newer rescue vehicles. The big surprise is
that the Russian Navy never developed any rescue techniques and equipment.

They did. They just let it deteriorate.

Old December 29th 04, 02:02 PM
Pechs1

Jack- If a sub sinks in the ocean, I assume the sailors can escape by
swimming to
the surface. But what is the maximum depth that a person could do an
emergency swimming ascent from a disabled sub? BRBR

A sub with or without a tailhook?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)