Relief Effort H-60 Crash

Old January 10th 05, 01:59 AM
Jim Carriere

Default Relief Effort H-60 Crash

Hello folks, I just saw this link on yahoo news, I didn't see
anything about it on www.news.navy.mil yet, probably soon.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...licopter_crash

All the story says is an SH-60 with 10 onboard crashed in Indonesia,
near Banda Aceh. No certain details on injuries, survivors, or
otherwise.

Hope for the best.

Old January 10th 05, 03:57 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Jim Carriere wrote:

Hello folks, I just saw this link on yahoo news, I didn't see
anything about it on www.news.navy.mil yet, probably soon.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_re_as/tsunam
i_helicopter_crash

All the story says is an SH-60 with 10 onboard crashed in Indonesia,
near Banda Aceh. No certain details on injuries, survivors, or
otherwise.

Hope for the best.

The BBC reports four injured.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4160339.stm

--Mike
Old January 10th 05, 07:56 AM
Guy Alcala

By JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press Writer

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A U.S. Seahawk
helicopter on a relief
operation crashed in a rice paddy near
Banda Aceh's airport, injuring all
10 aboard and causing the military to
briefly suspend flights on Monday.
A new tsunami videotape showed roiling
brown water engulfing everything
in its path on a busy Indonesian
street.

Capt. Kendall L.
Card, the commander of
the USS Abraham
Lincoln aircraft carrier,
which is stationed
off the coast of Sumatra
island, said over
the ship's loudspeakers
that six of the
servicemen aboard the aircraft
had been hurt
seriously and four had minor
injuries. The
worst injury was a dislocated
pelvis, he said.

Lt. Cmdr. John M.
Daniels blamed the
crash, which
happened just after 7:30 a.m.
local time, on a
"possible mechanical
failure" and said
it was being investigated.
Fifteen Seahawk
helicopters from the
Lincoln group have
been flying up to nine
hours a day on aid
missions. Normally they
fly a maximum of
three to four hours a day.

The SH60
helicopter crashed in a rice paddy
about 500 yards
from the airport in Banda
Aceh, the main
city on Indonesia's
tsunami-battered
Sumatra island, as it was
trying to land, he
said.

"There was no fire
ball but a little smoke. It
landed on its
side," said Capt. Joe Plenzler,
adding that the
helicopter's propeller was
twisted from the
impact.

U.S. authorities
said there was no indication
the helicopter had
been shot down. The
military said the
helicopter experienced an
"in-flight
emergency" and then "executed a
hard landing."
Photos from the scene
showed the Seahawk
lying on its side in the
paddy, it's main
rotor crumpled.

Photo he

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pdj10101100200

Old January 10th 05, 04:38 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Guy Alcala wrote:

By JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press Writer

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A U.S. Seahawk
helicopter on a relief
operation crashed in a rice paddy near
Banda Aceh's airport, injuring all
10 aboard and causing the military to
briefly suspend flights on Monday.
A new tsunami videotape showed roiling
brown water engulfing everything
in its path on a busy Indonesian
street.

Capt. Kendall L.
Card, the commander of
the USS Abraham
Lincoln aircraft carrier,

sarcasm dripping from every pore

Thanks for cleaning up that cut and paste job, Guy. It really
made that article readable.

/sarcasm dripping from every pore
--
OJ III
Old January 11th 05, 07:37 AM
Guy Alcala

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

snip

sarcasm dripping from every pore

Thanks for cleaning up that cut and paste job, Guy. It really
made that article readable.

/sarcasm dripping from every pore

Sorry about that, but I find that even when I reformat messages
after doing a cut and paste they often come out with bizarre
formatting, so I thought I'd leave this one alone and see what
happens. Sometimes they come through with the original formatting
intact, and sometimes (as in this case) not. If I could identify
any pattern to them I might be able to figure out what caused it,
but not being a computer geek that's hardly certain.

For that matter, I still have no idea why Googlegroups doesn't
usually wrap my lines at less than screen width, even though I've
got my line length set at 60 characters. It's okay when I send
it, sometimes okay and sometimes not when I read the NG on my
server, and almost always wrong on google, so you have to scroll
back and forth. I've tried various line length settings, with
absolutely no result on google.

Guy

Old January 11th 05, 08:54 AM
Dave in San diego

Guy Alcala wrote in
:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

snip

[...]

Make it a two step process.

1. Copy and paste into notepad. Remove all line breaks. Put them back in
where you really want them.

2. Paste back into your Usenet client and send. That should do the trick.

Dave in San Diego
Old January 11th 05, 01:37 PM
John S. Shinal

Michael Wise wrote:

The BBC reports four injured.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4160339.stm

Interesting - there didn't seem to have been much mention by
the BBC of the US and Australian relief flights prior to this.

Old January 11th 05, 10:10 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
(John S. Shinal) wrote:

Michael Wise wrote:

The BBC reports four injured.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4160339.stm

Interesting - there didn't seem to have been much mention by
the BBC of the US and Australian relief flights prior to this.

Au contraire. The BB covere the US relief flights extensively prior to
the crash on Jan 10.

Jan 1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4139235.stm

Jan 2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4140961.stm

Jan 3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4142047.stm

Jan 4
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4147321.stm

Jan 5
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4147321.stm

Jan 10 (crash)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4160339.stm

--Mike
Old January 12th 05, 03:32 PM
John S. Shinal

Michael Wise wrote:
Au contraire. The BB covere the US relief flights extensively prior to
the crash on Jan 10.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4139235.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4140961.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4142047.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4147321.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4147321.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4160339.stm

Thanks for the corrections and links, Michael !

Old January 13th 05, 04:16 AM

Aviation Week lists some of the US aviation assets helping with the disaster
relief:

50 US helicopters

17 from Abraham Lincoln
25 from Bonhomme Richard (including CH-53s and CH-46)
6 USAF HH-60 helicopters

US Army is sending a CH-47 Chinook unit

The article also included a photo of a MH-60S KnightHawk, which was a name I
was unfamiliar with.