Are There Any P-47 Experts Out There Too?

Old February 11th 05, 02:22 PM
Schlomo Lipchitz

Default Are There Any P-47 Experts Out There Too?

I have an unidentified photo of an airbase ramp with about 100 plus
P-47s on the ramp. The P-47s are olive drab with no large white
numbers on the nose. Any idea where this could be? Where were the
P-47 transition units or replacement traning units during the war?
The base is flat as a pancake and I will be happy to email the photo
to anyone who thinks he can help.

Thanks

Old February 11th 05, 05:19 PM
old hoodoo

We had a p-47 training base here in Victoria Texas. Aloe field, on the
Texas Gulf coast. This field was about 10 miles from a very large AT-6
training base which was called Foster Field.

Aloe field has pretty much disappeared into an industrial park, Foster
Field because Victoria Regional Airport.

It's pretty flat here in Victoria being on the coastal plane.

If you send me some pics I can check on it with our local museum. We
also have the original FF officers club that has a lot of pics of FF and
maybe Aloe. Something might be recognizable.

Old February 11th 05, 06:24 PM
José Herculano

Did the Navy ever have P-47's in its inventory?

Nope. But they did transport them via carrier to their bases on the Pacific,
and even sent them away via catapult shots!
_____________
José Herculano

Old February 11th 05, 07:10 PM
Mike Kanze

José

and even sent them away via catapult shots!

I could be wrong but I suspect they were actually deck-launched. I know of
no fittings (bridle hooks, etc.) on such aircraft that would allow catapult
launches.

--
Mike Kanze

"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too
strong."

- Ronald Reagan

Old February 11th 05, 08:13 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"BOB'S YOUR UNCLE" wrote:

Did the Navy ever have P-47's in its inventory?

NetKop Wannabe "BOB'S YOUR UNCLE" placed in the "Badge/Gun Taken
Away and NetKop Put on Permanent Suspension" section of the twit
filter.
--
OJ III
Old February 11th 05, 11:40 PM
José Herculano

Mike,

Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction...

http://www.almansur.com/p47catshot1.jpg
http://www.almansur.com/p47catshot2.jpg

_____________
José Herculano

Old February 12th 05, 02:06 AM
Mike Kanze

José,

How is the bridle attached to the Jug? (The second photo is too grainy for
me to determine.)

Old February 12th 05, 05:06 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

Schlomo Lipchitz wrote in message ...
I have an unidentified photo of an airbase ramp with about 100 plus
P-47s on the ramp. The P-47s are olive drab with no large white
numbers on the nose. Any idea where this could be? Where were the
P-47 transition units or replacement traning units during the war?
The base is flat as a pancake and I will be happy to email the photo
to anyone who thinks he can help.

Olive drab paint means the photograph was probably made in
1942 or 1943, what do the USAAF national markings look like?

There were only 138 P-47s made in 1941, and it took until January
1943 before there were 100 P-47s in England, July 1943 for the
South Pacific, November 1943 for Italy, February 1944 for the
Central Pacific and March 1944 for India.

No numbers on the aircraft would indicate just manufactured or
at least at some USAAF depot. Once the aircraft were with
a unit they were given unit markings.

There were formal P-47 training units in the US and England at
least, most theatres would have some unit to enable new fighter
pilots to be checked out before going to a unit and to also learn
the local tactics and conditions.

Flat as a pancake implies it is in the US.

So short of being able to read the serial numbers on the individual
aircraft or identify a landmark the most probable locations are the
Republic factories at Farmingdale New York or Evansville Indiana,
or one of the USAAF depots the aircraft were flown to from the
factories.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.

Old February 14th 05, 11:33 PM
Peter Twydell

In message , Mike Kanze
writes
José,

How is the bridle attached to the Jug? (The second photo is too grainy for
me to determine.)

Roger A Freeman's "Thunderbolt, A documentary history of the Republic
P-47",Macdonald and Jane's, London, 978, ISBN 0345111669, has a photo on
page 83 of a P-47 on a catapult. The caption says it is Right Dee-Icer,
a P-47D-11-RE of the 78th FG, and is aboard the USS Manilla Bay. The
tail number starts with 27, and the next three digits could be 531. They
are obscured by the starboard wing. It carries a centreline tank with
shark's teeth markings on it. White nose, wing and tail band. "29" in
white (probably) on the port wheel disc

The cables can clearly be seen to be attached to the main gear legs just
above the torque links. There seems to be some kind of hold-down behind
the tailwheel.

HTH
--
Peter