Is this forum still operating?

Old June 14th 05, 08:53 AM
Hennie Roets

Default Is this forum still operating?

I have not seen a new post on this forum for a while.

Rocky where have you guy's gone?

Regards

Hennie

Old June 14th 05, 09:09 PM

Hey Hennie!!!
Flying with a guy who also flew in SA back in early 80's...phyxed wing.
I'm crop spraying potatoes in central Minnesota now with a TomCat which
is a Bell 47 basic frame and cut down to nothing but a skinny cabin and
spray gear. Nice little machine and I'm flying about 5-10 hours a day
depending on weather. Limited access to the internet at the airport
(where else?!).
I posted as Too Close, Too Small and someone called me a wannabe liar!
Ah well. Yes the BB has been pretty quiet of late. So, lets stir the
pot and tell us what you have been up to of late?
How many VOR's are there in SoAfrica now? How many civil helicopters
flying? when I was there it amounted to 5 helo's, all Bell 206 at Astra
in Germiston, and I think there were 5 VOR's in country. that came up
in discussion about pilotage and navigation by eyeball and common
sense. I still have the original charts I flew with in Moz and SA. they
are framed and hanging on my den wall with flags (the old originals)
from SA and Rhodesia, and the various trophy heads.
Speak up man!
Cheers
Rocky

Old June 15th 05, 08:03 AM
Hennie Roets

Ok Rockey things changed a little but since you were flying in South Africa.

here are some statistics as of March 2005

Number of pilots

Commercial Fixed wing 1963
commercial Rotorcraft 367
PPL fixed 4970
PPL rotorcraft 669
ATP fixed wing 1955
ATP rotorcraft 108

Total valid licences including student and microlight 13 516

Number of certified Helicopters in SA

Heli Piston 363
Heli 1 turbine 251
Heli 2 turbine 78
Heli 3 Turbine 1

Total number of aircraft 8935

Total certified aircraft 4751

Total experimental 4184 or 47%

Total Experimental Rotorcraft 54

Regards

hennie

Old June 15th 05, 08:15 AM
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Hennie Roets wrote:

Total valid licences including student and microlight 13 516

Total number of aircraft 8935

Interesting stats there Hennie.

What's the population base in South Africa.

AND.... (anybody) how would those stats compare to planes and pilots in
the US 230 million, Canada 33 million, and any other countries were the
stats are available.

Anybody from different parts of the world have the stats from their
neck of the woods.