Which budget GPS for iPAQ 3630?

Old July 28th 05, 06:30 PM
NF

Default Which budget GPS for iPAQ 3630?

I'm looking for a GPS solution on tight budget for my iPAQ 3630.

What i need is
- a cheap GPS,
- an external power source that won't drain the onboard battery.
I got the freeware - flyWithCE (even though i never had the chance to try
it).

What i want is a ligthweigt and compact kit that's easy to carry and install
in different (mostly rented) gliders.

I think my iPAQ is a bit outdated and won't last forever, so i prefer to
invest in a GPS that will fit with a newer model once i get so far.

Hints, ideas and recommandations are very appreciated - offers will be
considered.

Will 250$ / 200? get me going?

regards,
Niels

Old July 28th 05, 07:24 PM
Tim Mara

we use mostly LX GPS Mouse....this works great and requires very little
space, has voltage converter built in to power the PDA at 5V and GPS engine
at 12V.....The iPaq 3630 is a bit dated, but should work fine and continue
to work beyond your expectations for a long long time.very little reason to
worry about updating this unit either.the 3630 has plenty of memory for
FlywithCE or most other PDA programs, has a "good" color display and good
operating system.
I'd highly recommend you keep the PDA you have, use the FlywithCE Navigator
system and simply add the LX mouse.you'll be happy
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at:
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old July 29th 05, 02:02 AM
Marc Ramsey

NF wrote:
Hints, ideas and recommandations are very appreciated - offers will be
considered.

Will 250$ / 200? get me going?

Holux GM-210 GPS with 12V power converter and connector for iPAQ 36xx
series is $100. You can buy additional adapter cables for other models
of PDAs and USB for around $10 each. They've worked for me...

http://www.gpscity.com/item-gps-city...10ipaq3637.htm
Old July 29th 05, 08:47 AM
Veli-Matti Karppinen

NF wrote:
I'm looking for a GPS solution on tight budget for my iPAQ 3630.

What i need is
- a cheap GPS,
- an external power source that won't drain the onboard battery.
I got the freeware - flyWithCE (even though i never had the chance to try
it).

What i want is a ligthweigt and compact kit that's easy to carry and install
in different (mostly rented) gliders.

I think my iPAQ is a bit outdated and won't last forever, so i prefer to
invest in a GPS that will fit with a newer model once i get so far.

Hints, ideas and recommandations are very appreciated - offers will be
considered.

Will 250$ / 200? get me going?

regards,
Niels

I have an expansion pack with extra battery and a PC-Card slot for the
3630 and use a Haicom CF-card GPS with an interface module in it. A very
compact solution in my opinion. GPS_LOG is another software option (
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com ) for low budget solutions.

BR Veli-Matti
Old July 29th 05, 05:57 PM
Andy Blackburn

At 08:06 29 July 2005, Veli-Matti Karppinen wrote:
NF wrote:
[...]

I have a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS that I have used as
a backup on my iPaq 5550. It's about the size of two
books of matches, can be placed anywhere and runs for
14 hours on a charge. The iPaq, sadly, needs additional
battery capacity.

9B

Old July 29th 05, 06:44 PM
John Ferguson

On a tight budget, guy a Haicomm 203 GPS mouse, comes
with Ipaq lead and 12v converter to run Ipaq included.
£50 in the UK.

John

Old August 2nd 05, 08:27 PM
NF

For those of you who might like to know:

I bought
- an Compact Flash Card Expansion Pack Plus with a 920 mAh removable battery
for about 65$ / 55?,
- a Haicom HI-305N Multi-Mode GPS Receiver with Built-in SD Memory Card
(105$ + 25$ S/H at http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/hamugpsrewib.html).
One of the nice things about it is a very low power consumption of only 35
mA!

The GPS is still in the mail, so i haven't been able to work with it yet.

I will also need a mount and probably an external power source - or maybe a
handful of spare batteries for the expansion pack;-)
My iPAQ had a new battery a couple months ago, together with the extra 920
mAh battery it maybe will be enough for short flights.

Thank you all for your advises, you have been very helpful!

Niels

Old August 2nd 05, 09:44 PM
John Scott

I use a RAM mount with a suction cup, 3" arm, and iPAQ cradle. It has
worked very well has stayed put on the canopy for 3+ hrs. I think this is
the way to go for a system that you can move between gliders.

You can power the iPAQ and Jacket directly from a 6 volt lantern battery.
You just need to make an appropriate cable. If the iPAQ and Jacket
batteries are fully charged, you should have enough power for as long as
there is daylight. Alternatively, if applying 6 volts to a nominal 5v input
concerns you, you can by a 12v receargeable battery at most photo shops
(including Walmart) and rig it to use a car power cord.

John Scott

. ..

REAL BUDGET BUSTER Cribsheet Piloting 2 December 18th 04 10:02 PM
Budget Traffic Avoidance BHelman Products 0 August 17th 04 09:14 AM
Budget Traffic Avoidance BHelman Products 0 August 17th 04 09:13 AM
RAH-66 Comanche helicopter could face budget cuts in 2005 Larry Dighera Military Aviation 0 November 19th 03 02:18 PM
USA Defence Budget Realities Stop SPAM! Military Aviation 17 July 9th 03 02:11 AM