Soaring units in Great Britain

Old August 1st 05, 07:51 AM
Jack Glendening

Default Soaring units in Great Britain

I am making some experimental soaring forecasts for Great
Britain and realized that I don't know the units being used
there as don't know how far metrification has gone. Are
airplane altitudes reported in feet? Are wind speeds in
knots? Are temperatures in Fahrenheit?

Jack
Old August 1st 05, 09:01 AM
Andrew Warbrick

At 07:12 01 August 2005, Jack Glendening wrote:
I am making some experimental soaring forecasts for
Great
Britain and realized that I don't know the units being
used
there as don't know how far metrification has gone.
Are
airplane altitudes reported in feet? Are wind speeds
in
knots? Are temperatures in Fahrenheit?

Jack

Yes. Yes. Mostly no.

Also:
Airspeed - knots
Cross country average speed - kph
Distance (task) - km
Distance (navigation) - km or nauticle miles
Rate of climb/sink - knots or occasionally 'Dickies'
Pressure - millibars/hectopascals except for oxygen/tire
pressures which are in psi
Retrieve distances - Statute Miles (except aerotow
retrieve which is usually km)
Cockpit loading - avoirdupois pounds or sometimes kilograms
Water ballast - gallons or barrels or pounds

Makes perfect sense if you ask me

Old August 1st 05, 09:19 AM
Bill Gribble

Jack Glendening writes
Are
airplane altitudes reported in feet?

Yes.

Are wind speeds in
knots?

Yes.

Are temperatures in Fahrenheit?

Celsius.

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk
Old August 2nd 05, 05:43 AM
Jack Glendening

Thanks for your responses. I will be making an announcement on RAS
shortly about the availability of these soaring weather forecasts.
Jack
Old August 2nd 05, 08:14 AM
John Galloway

At 05:06 02 August 2005, Jack Glendening wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I will be making an announcement
on RAS
shortly about the availability of these soaring weather
forecasts.
Jack

Jack,

Will your Great Britain forecasts include Scotland?
Jack Harrison's (http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjack)
excellent soaring forecasts cover England but up here
in Scotland we have no similar facility.

John Galloway

Old August 2nd 05, 08:37 AM
Jack Glendening

Will your Great Britain forecasts include Scotland?
Jack Harrison's (http://www.itadvice.co.uk/weatherjack)
excellent soaring forecasts cover England but up here
in Scotland we have no similar facility.
John Galloway

John,
The last I heard, Scotland was still part of GB ;-) So yes, the
forecasts also cover Scotland, though with less resolution than for England.
Jack