CPL reading material

Old May 9th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CPL reading material

Do the various downloadable handbooks from the FAA website, viz.
Aeronautical Information Manual, Airplane Flying Handbook, Instrument
Flying Handbook, Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Aircraft Weight
& Balance Handbook suffice as reading material for obtaining a CPL or
are there other specific books? Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

Old May 9th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do the various downloadable handbooks from the FAA website, viz.
Aeronautical Information Manual, Airplane Flying Handbook, Instrument
Flying Handbook, Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Aircraft Weight
& Balance Handbook suffice as reading material for obtaining a CPL or
are there other specific books?

No, those don't cover everything you'd want to know (or even for the Private
Pilot certificate).

Add to those the FARs, the applicable Practical Test Standards, the Aviation
Weather Handbook, and the Aeronautical Chart Users Guide, along with perhaps
some more that I've forgotten at the moment. Aerodynamics for Naval
Aviators is another good reference.

Assuming all those references are available (most are downloadable...the
only one I believe isn't is the Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators), they are
sufficient for some people. Other people learn better when the material is
presented in a different way, and for those people there are a number of
books written for that purpose. In a recent thread, Bill Kershner's books
were mentioned; they remain among my favorite of all aviation training
manuals, ever since I read his primary training student manual (the first
aviation training book I ever read, loaned to me by a coworker when I was
first learning to fly). Rod Machado has similar books, and both Kershner
and Machado have a reputation for having an easy-going, conversational
style. For something more text-book like, there are books from King Schools
(John and Martha), Jeppesen, and ASA, among others.

This is far from an exhaustive list, but it ought to give you a good start,
whatever direction your "start" is taking you.

Pete

Old May 9th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The best weather book for pilots is still Robert N. Buck's
WEATHER FLYING, but you will also need the FAA Aviation
Weather and other texts. Buck tells you how to think about
and fly weather, not how to decode the current charts and
METARS.

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators is very nice IF you are a
math major, it is unnecessary since the principles of
aerodynamics are covered at the level required the books you
mentioned.

These comments are in addition to Peter's and intended for
Ramapriya.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
message ...

oups.com...

Old May 9th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks so much, Pete.
Do you have a link for downloading the Wx Handbook and Aeronautical
Chart Users Guide? I don't seem to find it.

And no, this isn't for me, but for copying stuff onto a CD for a
colleague's daughter who wants to do CPL back in India, where both fuel
and flying are frightfully expensive.

Although I've both Machado and Kershner, the only book I read and
reread is the DP Davies book. So well-written

Ramapriya

Peter Duniho wrote:
oups.com...

Old May 9th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
Thanks so much, Pete.
Do you have a link for downloading the Wx Handbook and Aeronautical
Chart Users Guide? I don't seem to find it.

Found both. Hadn't known where to look

Old May 9th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Although I've both Machado and Kershner, the only book I read and
reread is the DP Davies book. So well-written

Unfortunately....Captain Davies excellent book has nothing to do with the
Commercial Pilot Certificate. It is written more for the pilot who has
already obtained an ATP certificate and is entering the big jet market for
the first time.

Bob Moore

Old May 9th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Moore wrote:

Unfortunately....Captain Davies excellent book has nothing to do with the Commercial Pilot Certificate. It is written more for the pilot who has already obtained an ATP certificate and is entering the big jet market for the first time.

Bob Moore

So by Dud logic, my reading Davies should make me very plausible
terrorist potential
More frantic calls to the FBI on the way )

But Bob, on a serious note, there seems to be something alarmingly
wrong with India's aviation teaching program. Read the following news
item from yesterday:

[Cite]
Of the thousands of aspirants who wrote the theory exams for a
commercial pilot's licence across the country in April, not a single
one appears to have cleared all five subjects. And barely 10% have
passed in two of the five subjects.
The results were declared by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation
(DGCA) on Thursday. Not a single Mumbai candidate has cleared all the
five subjects. Sources in Delhi said that only one student from the
capital has cleared all five subjects.
In Mumbai, 1,045 students registered for the exams but barely 50
managed to clear the air navigation subject, while about 120 got
through air regulation. Just about a dozen or so students managed to
clear air meteorology.
"The failure rate has never been this high. Until last year, at least
30-40% of the students who gave their CPL exams could clear it,''
said an aviation source.
[End cite]

Terrible isn't it?

Ramapriya

Old May 9th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Terrible isn't it?

The CPL and ATPL exams given in Europe (Asia?) are MUCH more comprehensive
and difficult than are the corresponding knowledge tests given here in the
USofA.

I'm not sure that any of the USofA study books would prepare one for the
European exams.

Bob Moore
Old May 9th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Moore wrote:
Terrible isn't it?

The CPL and ATPL exams given in Europe (Asia?) are MUCH more comprehensive
and difficult than are the corresponding knowledge tests given here in the
USofA.

I'm not sure that any of the USofA study books would prepare one for the
European exams.

Bob Moore

Is it just me that thinks that had someone less senior written the
above, you'd have been swamped by a slew of chauvinistic vitriol by
now?

Ramapriya