Ratcheting tie-downs vs come-alongs?

Old July 20th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Ratcheting tie-downs vs come-alongs?

I'm trying to use a ratcheting tie-down as a comealong to move an
aircompressor to a trailer.

I'm finding that as the webbing builds up on the ratcheting barrel, it
will eventually interfer with the prawling mechanism. This limits the
distance the tie-down can pull to about 3 feet. Useless.

I've taken up as much excess as I can at the load end, but the barrel
still fills too quickly.

Any suggestions or am I using the wrong tool for the job? - MIke

Old July 20th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

Definately the wrong tool... If you don't have a comealong you can use
a length of chain. Simply tension the chain and then pull sideways on
the chain (or jump on it). Granted, you won't move it very far for each
"pull" but it's another way to move objects.

BTW, how about moving the trailer to the aircompressor?? It's got
wheels, right?? ....grin....

John

Old July 20th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

They are in close proximity; in fact they are seperated by auto ramps;
problem is getting the compressor up those ramps and onto the bed of
the trailer - Mike

Old July 26th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I'm trying to use a ratcheting tie-down as a comealong to move an
aircompressor to a trailer.

I'm finding that as the webbing builds up on the ratcheting barrel, it
will eventually interfer with the prawling mechanism. This limits the
distance the tie-down can pull to about 3 feet. Useless.

I've taken up as much excess as I can at the load end, but the barrel
still fills too quickly.

Any suggestions or am I using the wrong tool for the job? - MIke

'Wrong' tool, but:

If it's all you've got, you can probably find a way. If you have at
least 2 tie-downs, max out the 1st as you have already done, hook up the
2nd one, tighten & remove the 1st. Max out the 2nd, re-set & hook up
the 1st; repeat as needed.

Charlie