PW-5 type certification

Old September 10th 16, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ARDI BELTZA

Default PW-5 type certification

I'm new to soaring and don't quite understand why so many sailplanes are registered under the "experimental" category.

Why would a glider with for which a type certificate is available, like the PW-5, be registered as experimental. It does seem like many aircraft that were once type certified have "migrated" to the experimental category. Is the type certificate worthless? More a burden than an advantage? (The type certificate ensures compliance with certain standards, there is a reason experimental aircraft cannot be used commercially.)

Question: would you pay the same for two identical PW-5 one with a type certificate and another registered as an experimental aircraft?

I realize that my question might have very complex answers, I'm just looking for a simple general explanation (if there is one).

Thanks
Old September 10th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:51:08 AM UTC-4, ARDI BELTZA wrote:
... Why would a glider with for which a type certificate is available,
like the PW-5, be registered as experimental???

In which country?

Old September 10th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 9/10/2016 10:14 AM, ARDI BELTZA wrote:
[...]

The most common reason with which I'm familiar is the delay in time between
when a design achieves certification in its "home country" and when - assuming
"a reciprocity agreement" between said country and the FAA exists - the FAA
completes their internal paperwork required to implement the reciprocity
agreement. Quite common (SOP?) with newer German designs.

After that, U.S. owners have the option of "doing nothing" (i.e. leaving the
ship in the Experimental category), or, initiating the paperwork-hoop-jumping
required to shift any individual ship into the ATC category.

PW-5s are unusual in that I'm pretty certain there were, theoretically, 3
paths to certification in the USA: 1) original ex-factory (involving I
*believe* "reciprocity"); 2) factory-built in the USA to original
certification standards (which I'm pretty sure never happened, but which would
have resulted in an "automatic ATC"); and 3) Experimental Amateur Built (e.g.
Oran Nick's ship), to original factory specifications. It was hoped such
creational flexibility would assist the development and growth of the World
Class (a whole 'nother "religious discussion" for many!).

As to ATC-vs.-Experimental category general pros & cons, "It depends upon to
whom you speak." Another religious discussion...

As to your question, I suspect - assuming truly identical ATC/Experimental
ships - you'll find the answer it, "It depends upon the purchaser's
attitudes." (cf: "religious discussion"!) Some folks are convinced
Experimental ships are spawn of the devil, while others prefer the category
for a host of reasons. (I assume you're aware there are different Experimental
"buckets", a "minor fact" often obscured in the smoke of what sometimes passes
for "rational discussion" on RAS! )

Welcome to soaring, and have fun with the process of
educating-self/selecting-ship!!! It's almost as much fun as flying it!

Bob W.
Old September 10th 16, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ARDI BELTZA

Thanks Bob, very useful information.
Old September 12th 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 3:51:08 AM UTC+12, ARDI BELTZA wrote:
Question: would you pay the same for two identical PW-5 one with a type certificate and another registered as an experimental aircraft?

If you are convinced that the aircraft in question was built in the same factory as certificated aircraft of the same model, and is physically identical to them, and it's a single seater so there is no possibility of commercial use anyway ... experimental might even be worth a bit more for the extra freedom and flexibility of modifications and equipment.

Engine Certification aerojones Owning 5 February 18th 09 06:47 PM
IFR GPS certification nobody Instrument Flight Rules 17 March 16th 05 04:16 AM
IFR GPS certification nobody Owning 14 February 28th 05 04:07 PM
Certification of AT-3, a JAR/VLA plane Yurek Products 0 January 29th 05 11:33 AM
FAA Certification fred D Soaring 7 June 15th 04 03:01 PM