Ancient VOR Transmitter ??

Old January 21st 05, 10:42 PM

Default Ancient VOR Transmitter ??

I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have not been able to pin down exactly what it is. Some
folks have given the opinion that it may be an old VOR transmitter.

I'm wondering if someone can identify it? Give a date range?
or any other information?

pictures:
http://www.yipyap.com/radio_stuff/VOR/index.htm

Chris

p.s. I know some of the pictures are fuzzy. I'll cull them out.
Thanks!

Old January 22nd 05, 01:40 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Stan Gosnell wrote:

wrote in news:1106347341.980871.225150
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I recently received this large single-frequency transmitter
from an elderly gentleman who used to be a ham radio operator.

I have not been able to pin down exactly what it is. Some
folks have given the opinion that it may be an old VOR transmitter.

I'm wondering if someone can identify it? Give a date range?
or any other information?

pictures:
http://www.yipyap.com/radio_stuff/VOR/index.htm

Chris

p.s. I know some of the pictures are fuzzy. I'll cull them out.
Thanks!

Maybe an NDB, but certainly not a VOR.

One of the dataplates had a spot for "FREQ", near the top, but I
couldn't read the number through the glare from the flash. If you've
got the number, that should answer the question.

If it's in the 108 to 117.9 MHz range, it's a VOR. If it's in the
200-ish to 500-ish kHz range (I forget the exact limits), it's an NDB.
Old January 22nd 05, 02:33 PM
kontiki

I noticed an 829B tube in the final which was commonly used for
VHF frequencies of that era in a push-pull configuration. It may
be an early FM broadcast transmitter (88 - 108 Mhz), but I doubt it
because it appears to have a modulator (which an FM transmitter would
not have).

Old January 22nd 05, 03:18 PM
Dave Stadt

"kontiki" wrote in message
I noticed an 829B tube in the final which was commonly used for
VHF frequencies of that era in a push-pull configuration. It may
be an early FM broadcast transmitter (88 - 108 Mhz), but I doubt it
because it appears to have a modulator (which an FM transmitter would
not have).

If it is VHF it could be an ILS or localizer transmitter.

Old January 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:18:30 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message
I noticed an 829B tube in the final which was commonly used for
VHF frequencies of that era in a push-pull configuration. It may
be an early FM broadcast transmitter (88 - 108 Mhz), but I doubt it
because it appears to have a modulator (which an FM transmitter would
not have).

If it is VHF it could be an ILS or localizer transmitter.

Why the mike jack?

Also, subsequent photos of the data plate move the flash glare around,
and there appears to be no data column under the frequency.

Don
Old January 23rd 05, 03:15 AM

I appreciate all the input so far.

I know it's been modified, how much is unclear.
Because of the tubes it's using, and the
one knob which switches the meter to show
many multipliers, it was a guess that it
was VHF.

But I think you're right, the output plate coil seems
much too big for VHF now.

Well, I don't think I'll be able to either restore
it or use it unless I can get more info. Otherwise,
it will probably be scrapped. If there's anyone out
there even slightly interested in having it, let
me know.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:26 AM
David Lesher

Roy Smith writes:

One of the dataplates had a spot for "FREQ", near the top, but I
couldn't read the number through the glare from the flash. If you've
got the number, that should answer the question.

If it's in the 108 to 117.9 MHz range, it's a VOR. If it's in the
200-ish to 500-ish kHz range (I forget the exact limits), it's an NDB.

If it's a VOR, where is the goniometer?
--
A host is a host from coast to