What does SWEPT mean in a NOTAM?

Old January 30th 05, 02:06 PM
Roy Smith

Default What does SWEPT mean in a NOTAM?

I got this notam from duats

!HPN 01/087 HPN 11/29 PTCHY THN SIR SWEPT WEF 0501301139

and couldn't figure out what SWEPT meant, so I tried the translator
feature. Seems the translator didn't know either:

White Plains NY (Westchester County) [HPN]: January NOTAM #87:
Runway 11/29 patchy thin snow and ice on runway SWEPT effective from
January 30th, 2005 at 06:39 AM EST (0501301139)

Am I supposed to believe they've got guys out on the runways with brooms
sweeping the snow off, or what?
Old January 30th 05, 02:38 PM
Dale

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

I got this notam from duats

!HPN 01/087 HPN 11/29 PTCHY THN SIR SWEPT WEF 0501301139

and couldn't figure out what SWEPT meant, so I tried the translator
feature. Seems the translator didn't know either:

White Plains NY (Westchester County) [HPN]: January NOTAM #87:
Runway 11/29 patchy thin snow and ice on runway SWEPT effective from
January 30th, 2005 at 06:39 AM EST (0501301139)

Am I supposed to believe they've got guys out on the runways with brooms
sweeping the snow off, or what?

Uh yeah. But the "broom" is usually towed by a grader, etc., has it's
own engine to power the rotary broom and might have blowers on it as
well.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old January 30th 05, 08:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

I got this notam from duats

!HPN 01/087 HPN 11/29 PTCHY THN SIR SWEPT WEF 0501301139

and couldn't figure out what SWEPT meant, so I tried the translator
feature. Seems the translator didn't know either:

White Plains NY (Westchester County) [HPN]: January NOTAM #87:
Runway 11/29 patchy thin snow and ice on runway SWEPT effective from
January 30th, 2005 at 06:39 AM EST (0501301139)

Am I supposed to believe they've got guys out on the runways with brooms
sweeping the snow off, or what?

Yes, that's what you should believe. Big, powered, rotary brooms. SWEPT is
not actually a contraction, it means exactly that.