WAC vs Sectional

Old February 1st 05, 03:10 PM

Default WAC vs Sectional

I currently subscribe to the Airchart IFR and sectional service. I was
looking at changing to the WAC and IFR service.

What exactly is the difference between the WAC and sectional charts?
Do the WACs show all the MOAs/restricted/etc areas? Are all the same
airports listed?

Thanks

Old February 1st 05, 03:41 PM
Paul kgyy

I tried WACs a while back but found insufficient detail for good visual
orientation, and went back to sectionals. The WACs are handy for
planning because of their larger scale but that's about it. I also use
Low Altitude En Route charges for IFR in combination with the
sectionals.

Old February 1st 05, 03:59 PM
George Patterson

" wrote:

What exactly is the difference between the WAC and sectional charts?

Thw WAC charts are 1:1,000,000 scale. Sectionals are 1:500,000 scale (twice as
large).

Do the WACs show all the MOAs/restricted/etc areas?

Yes.

Are all the same airports listed?

Most private strips are not shown on the WACs. Also missing are airspace details
for controlled fields and radio frequency information. Most of those magenta
circles you're used to seeing on a sectional aren't on a WAC. In congested
areas, you'll see notes on the WAC to use the sectional -- for example, the note
"for flights at and below 4400 MSL see charlotte VFR sectional chart" may be
found on the WAC near RDU. This is your clue that the RDU airspace extends to
4,400'.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.
Old February 1st 05, 04:05 PM
Doug

There are lots of little differences. All the restricted, MOA stuff is
on the WAC's. But not the Class E surface area airports (special vfr?).
All the airports are there, but not the 3 or 4 letter ID's. With a
GPS, it is enough. Only thing I can't find is those Class E surface
areas with my WACs or GPS.

Old February 1st 05, 04:37 PM
Robert M. Gary

If you like to tool around C and B airspace VFR you won't like the WAC.
It doesn't show you the entire wedding cake. It just shows you the
outer area, it doesn't show you the side area at all.

-Robert

Old February 1st 05, 04:59 PM
Maule Driver

If you like to tool around IFR, the combination is perfect. I use the WAC
for IFR GPS direct work. I can fly around the SE US (except for FL) using
nothing else when IFR. A lot less chart flipping with the WAC - even in my
slow steed.

But you need the Sectionals for VFR around the Class B/C
oups.com...

Old February 1st 05, 07:48 PM
Denny

Try to Howie Keefes Aircharts... I have used every chart type/service
out there at one time or another, and Howie wins hands down, 95% of the
time...

Denny

Old February 1st 05, 07:49 PM
Doug

The Aircharts have all the Class B and Class C areas on sectionals in
the back.

Old February 2nd 05, 12:33 AM
RST Engineering

Most of my students transition from sectionals to WACs at about 800-1000
hours PIC and never look back. Howie Keefe's stuff is really good,
especially as he reprints the terminal area and Class B charts in the back.
I've never needed anything but these and the frequency info in the GPS.

Jim