East Hampton (Long Island, NY) airport weather?

Old July 16th 03, 11:24 PM
Peter R.

Default East Hampton (Long Island, NY) airport weather?

Yesterday I flew down to East Hampton (KHTO) airport for the first time.
With approach plates in front of me, I was preparing for my arrival when
NY Approach called to ask if I had the weather at HTO.

Scanning my Jeppesen approach plates a second time, I knew that there
was no AWOS/ASOS (it is an uncontrolled airport) frequency, so what were
they talking about?

I responded with a request for the frequency and was given 122.8 (I
think, please correct me if this wrong), which is different than the
UNICOM freq. So I tuned it expecting to hear an AWOS/ASOS-type
automated recording. Nothing... it was quiet.

So, now what? Do I make a call? If so, who do I call?

Within a minute or so I had what appeared to be my answer. Another
aircraft called "Sound Aircraft, Piper xxx, landing East Hampton,
request current weather and altimeter."

Later I was told that this airport uses a live weather observer during
the day, a rare treat in this new millennium. Unfortunately, I was
unaware of this type of weather retrieval and did not see this
information in the AF/D. Where do I look to find this unique weather
information for other airports that also use a live observer so that in
the future I am better prepared?

--
Peter

Old July 17th 03, 12:39 AM
David Reinhart

I was just down there this past weekend working on my IFR ticket. My
instructor told me you basically always end up using the *West* Hampton
altimeter setting and end up using minimums that are 40 feet higher as a
result. I just looked at the plate and it says "Obtain local altimeter
setting on CTAF", which is listed as 122.7 Going strictly by the book, info
received on any other frequency would not be in accordance with the IAP and
therefore not authorized. My guess is he gave you the wrong frequency.

Dave Reinhart

Old July 17th 03, 12:49 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I was just down there this past weekend working on my IFR ticket. My
instructor told me you basically always end up using the *West* Hampton
altimeter setting and end up using minimums that are 40 feet higher as a
result. I just looked at the plate and it says "Obtain local altimeter
setting on CTAF", which is listed as 122.7 Going strictly by the book,

info
received on any other frequency would not be in accordance with the IAP

and
therefore not authorized. My guess is he gave you the wrong frequency.

Actually, he gave him the frequency for Sound Aircraft Services, the major
FBO on the field. During the summer (and especially on weekends) they
usually have someone on the radio to give weather, wind and other advisories
on an informal basis. HTO is a pretty high-volume field during the summer
(it could probably have a tower, but residents won't allow it), and a great
deal of the traffic are uber-VIP's flying in to their weekend getaways; so
as a service, Sound keeps a guy or gal on the radio to help things run a bit
more smoothly.

Old July 17th 03, 06:44 PM
Andrew Gideon

Thomas J. Paladino Jr. wrote:

Actually, he gave him the frequency for Sound Aircraft Services, the major
FBO on the field. During the summer (and especially on weekends) they
usually have someone on the radio to give weather, wind and other
advisories on an informal basis. HTO is a pretty high-volume field during
the summer (it could probably have a tower, but residents won't allow it),
and a great deal of the traffic are uber-VIP's flying in to their weekend
getaways; so as a service, Sound keeps a guy or gal on the radio to help
things run a bit more smoothly.

Which begs the original question: how does a non-local learn such
non-trivia?

- Andrew

Old July 25th 03, 02:42 AM
John Gaquin

"David Reinhart" wrote in message

....The *only* frequency on the IAP for
obtaining a local altimeter setting is the CTAF. To me that means that
information obtained on any other frequency is *not* part of the IAP and

is
therefore not usable.

So don't use it. You'll be right, and everyone else will have the
information. Simple.

JG