Primary Glider Drawings

Old October 6th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default Primary Glider Drawings

Bill Daniels wrote:

And I GUARANTEE it attracts young people. You can't buy a ride like that at
Disneyland.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp_EsplxDM

Bill Daniels

Unfortunately, the liability issue kills the whole thing before it can
even get off the ground.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old October 6th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:

And I GUARANTEE it attracts young people. You can't buy a ride like that
at Disneyland.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp_EsplxDM

Bill Daniels

Unfortunately, the liability issue kills the whole thing before it can
even get off the ground.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

What liability issue? Everything is insured.

This is done throughout the world as well as in the USA. The glider policy
covers the occupants and the airfield policy covers the winch. In fact, the
insurance is much cheaper than for an airplane. Although it is very
exciting, it isn't particularly dangerous if done by well trained pilots and
winch operators.

Bill Daniels

Old October 7th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

. ..

Bill Daniels wrote:

And I GUARANTEE it attracts young people. You can't buy a ride like
that at Disneyland.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp_EsplxDM

Bill Daniels

Unfortunately, the liability issue kills the whole thing before it can
even get off the ground.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

What liability issue? Everything is insured.

This is done throughout the world as well as in the USA. The glider
policy covers the occupants and the airfield policy covers the winch. In
fact, the insurance is much cheaper than for an airplane. Although it is
very exciting, it isn't particularly dangerous if done by well trained
pilots and winch operators.

Bill Daniels

First, let me confess that my total actual experience in a glider was a
single flight in a 2 seat Blanik and was launched by aero-tow.

That said, and just looking at the mechanics of the thing, I suspect that a
winch is probably the safest way to launch a glider--at least in an area
where you don't need the extra altitude that an aero-tow can provide. So,
where applicable, and with proberly trained pilots as you pointed out, it
should be an ideal way to incorporate gliders into a Young Eagles program.
It seems to have all of the best elements: (1) just about as safe as it can
get, (2) just about as cheap as it can get, and (3) utterly fascinating for
kids from 8 to 80!

It might revive chapters and entire airports.

Peter

Old October 7th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

.. .

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

The theoretical maximum height from a winch launch is half the initial rope
length. (4000' runway gets 2000' AGL) Most operations achieve at least 40%.
With most runways, this will be higher than auto tow. Of course, if you
have unlimited room like a huge dry lake, auto tow will get you higher.
Winch launches in Germany have reached 5400' AGL from a 10,000' runway.

Old October 7th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Bill Daniels wrote:

And I GUARANTEE it attracts young people. You can't buy a ride like that
at Disneyland.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp_EsplxDM

Bill Daniels

Unfortunately, the liability issue kills the whole thing before it can
even get off the ground.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

What liability issue? Everything is insured.

This is done throughout the world as well as in the USA. The glider policy
covers the occupants and the airfield policy covers the winch. In fact, the
insurance is much cheaper than for an airplane. Although it is very
exciting, it isn't particularly dangerous if done by well trained pilots and
winch operators.

Bill Daniels

Sorry Bill, I was stlii thinking Primary Glider.

I doubt you could find anyone that would underwrite a solo training
glider.

Dual sailplanes, with instructor - or at least qualified pilot - aboard
might be another story entirely.
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old October 7th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's actually better than I thought it would be. I was thinking of an
initial rope length of 3000 to 4000 feet, and presumed a height of 1000 to
1200 feet compared to around 2000 feet for aero tow. So, it looks like
winch launching could be quite competitive, even in very flat country,
except for the need to release over the airport.

Peter

Old October 8th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 23:37:22 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Perhaps nothing except the basic fundamental understanding of WHAT SNIP
MEANS.

Veeduber

What would it take to convert a primary into a basic soaring machine
(35+ to 1)?.

************************************

RST

Know what snip means but don't have the ability like you to know what
was said back in thread without reading it current. Sure wish I had
that ability and I'd know how election will come out.

Big John
Old October 8th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Bill Daniels wrote:
Primary gliders are a huge amount of work to fly - expecially if you use the
traditional bungee launch method which is really the only safe way to fly
one. Aero tow or winch launch is terrfying in a primary - although this is
also done on occasion. (But rarely twice in a lifetime by the same pilot.)

To fly one as it was intended, you need a huge grassy slope that is slightly
shallower than the glide ratio of the primary. The bungee launch will get
the glider to just above stall speed a couple of feet above the ground. If
the pilot can hold the exact best L/D airspeed and keep it perfectly
coordinated, he will be rewarded with a glide of a couple of hundred yards -
maybe 30 seconds of airtime. If he deviates in any way from perfection, the
glider will quickly settle into the grass. If you have 15 - 20 knots of
wind up the slope, the instructor can run along side shouting instructions.
Then everybody gets to haul it back up the slope. All this exercise will
achieve about ten flights a day but it WILL get you in shape.

Bill, this is a good point, except veedubber was talking about using
these particular contraptions to attract young-uns. Now, I don't know
how it is where you live, but here in NC we get MAYBE one good snow a
year. These young-uns will bundle up till they look like balloons, then
go run up a snow covered hill for a slow bumpy ride down a shallow slope.

I could be wrong, but I'm just not seeing the physical exertion aspect
being a big detraction for the target group.