Lycoming O-233. Any News?

Old October 11th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

Default Lycoming O-233. Any News?

I am sure that many of you saw the Lycoming O-233 engine at Oshkosh
08. For those of you who did not, it appears to be a Lyc O-235 that
has undergone a weight shedding process. It is supposed to be rated
at 100 hp at 2400 rpm, but will produce 116 hp at 2700 rpm. At least
that is what I remember. It also is supposed to have roller tappets,
and, the best part, weights right close to 200 pounds.

I am in the process of building a Murphy Rebel, and plan on flying it
as a Light Sport Aircraft. I think that this engine would be perfect
for the plane.

I wrote Lycoming a letter (Sept. 2) asking that I be put on a list for
buying one when they are available. Since then I have not had any
response from them. This surprises me. If nothing else, I would expect
to receive a letter saying " Thanks for your interest, but.... ". I
didn't think that business was that great that they would completely
ignore a potential customer. But, I have been wrong before.

Have any of you guys got any insight on this engine? Any clue when it
might get to the market?

Thanks.

Tim Hickey.

Zenith CH-300 Driver.
Old October 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Tim Hickey" wrote in message
[...]

Continental was about that far along with their new O-200 about three years
ago, so I am not surprised by their lack of response at this time.

If it was my project; I would be talking to Murphy, rather than the engine
manufacturers. My first reason for doing that would be to find out what
propeller(s) they are using with the three engine types shown on the
specifications page. Then, I would also take a look at the six cylinder
Jabiru 3300--with the idea of running it around 2400 to 2500 rpm for around
95 horsepower. I don't pretend to like the idea; but at least the numbers
would make sense and the weight might be about midway between the Rotax 912
and the Continental O-200.

This is all a little outside my areas of expertise; but, perhaps, it can
start a reasonable discussion thread.

Peter

Lycoming GPU Graverobber[_2_] Home Built 0 May 20th 07 07:14 PM
Lycoming O-235 Fulcrum Home Built 11 February 16th 06 01:20 AM
Weak Dollar (Bad News - Good News) JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 January 27th 04 03:06 AM
Lycoming 0-320-A2B Bernardo Melendez. Jr. Aviation Marketplace 1 December 14th 03 04:21 AM
Lycoming 0-320 - 150 HP Bernardo Melendez. Jr. Aviation Marketplace 0 December 12th 03 06:50 AM