Mounting my GPS

Old November 14th 03, 05:14 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Mounting my GPS

I have a C-150 and a Garmin GPS Pilot III. Right now it's mounted on
above the interment panel near (but not too close) to the compass.

I would like to mount it on the yoke. Does anyone have any experience
with yoke mounts on a 1966 Cessna 150? Will normal yoke mounts
work well? Must I really pay $89.95 for the yoke mount or is there
a cheaper/better way? Finally, are yoke mounts as cool as they
look, or should I leave it in it's currently functional location.

-Thanks

-Funny bit: If the GPS is mounted to the left of my compass it affects
the compass much more than on the right. This is probably due to the
internals of the GPS. If the GPS is too close to the compass it has an
unfortunately large effect.

Old November 14th 03, 09:01 AM
Aloft

I presume you're talking about a RAM yoke mount. Yes, they're a tad pricey,
but a reasonable investment IMHO. I have one for my GPSMap 76, works like a
champ. The yoke mount with the extension plate seems to work most
unobtrusively with the older Cessna yokes--the ones without the big padded
vinyl thing in the middle--as the mount can be located underneath the yoke,
the extension plate coming up and in front of the yoke from underneath.
Late 70's/early 80's yokes do best with the diamond ball attachment,
mounting the yoke mount on the top side of the yoke column (but not the
newest ones, on the post '97 Cessnas--those are simply a mess for yoke
mounts, chiefly because of the fixed chart clip--I have had moderate success
running the RAM extension plate to one side, but this is not entirely
optimal.)

Old November 14th 03, 09:34 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

*** MOUNTING MY GPS***

My first suggestion is that you should at least by it dinner first! :-

Okay,,, seriously now.....

I have a GPS III Pilot and use one of the mounts with the Suction cup (since
I use rental planes) and have been most happy with it. In the Cessna's I
fly, I mount mine near the left-most edge of my windscreen so that it holds
the GPS in my view, without appreciably blocking my view around it for
safety.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 14th 03, 07:39 PM
John Bell

Also consider that the reception is going to be better on the glareshield
than on the yoke without an external antenna -- not that it will not work.
One of the features I like about the III Pilot is that it can be used on the
glareshield.

You might try it with some rubber bands first to see if you like the yoke
location.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

Old November 14th 03, 09:32 PM
Newps

Leave it up top. One of the main benefits of going from the GPS90 that
was yoke mounted to my GPS Pilot III was that I mounted it on the
glareshield, under the compass just like yours. Having to look down all
the time to look at the GPS is very tiring after a few hours.

Old November 15th 03, 01:33 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

By the way,,,, be sure to get an external antenna for it that mounts with a
suction cup. It will eliminate a lot of potential problem 'placement' areas
in your aircraft.

Old November 15th 03, 08:23 PM
Ming Ho

While looking for an external GPS antenna, please be sure to get one
without built-in magnets. Currently, only two GPS antenna brands offer
user removable magnets for the GPS antenna: $99.99 from www.garmin.com
and $19.49 from Gilsson (http://store.yahoo.com/gilsson). A metallic
suction cup mounting bracket is also available from Gilsson.
http://store.yahoo.com/gilsson/antennas.html

Several of our staff members are pilots, so we are very aware of the
needs/concerns of GA pilots. Our Gilsson antennas feature unique
user-remvable magnets, so pilots, boaters and hikers can remove the
built-in magnets whenever necessary.

Kindest regards,
Ming Ho
P-ASMEL-Instrument (Glasair Super IIFT)
Gilsson Technologies
http://store.yahoo.com/gilsson/antennas.html
510-940-7777
Toll Free 877-GPS-GEEK

Old November 18th 03, 08:44 PM
Robert A. Barker

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
I have a C-150 and a Garmin GPS Pilot III. Right now it's mounted on
above the interment panel near (but not too close) to the compass.

I would like to mount it on the yoke. Does anyone have any experience
with yoke mounts on a 1966 Cessna 150? Will normal yoke mounts
work well? Must I really pay $89.95 for the yoke mount or is there
a cheaper/better way? Finally, are yoke mounts as cool as they
look, or should I leave it in it's currently functional location.

-Thanks

I have a 1966 C150 F and a Lowrance 100. This GPS
came with the plane. It uses a yoke mount that appears to be specifically
made for the Lowrance.I already had a
Garmin GPS III (not the aviation one). I have not tried to
mount the Garmin in the 150 so I can't tell you much about that.The yoke
mount for the Lowrance must have been relatively expensive by the look of
it.

Best of luck

Bob Barker N8749S

Old November 19th 03, 11:51 AM
Paul Sengupta

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/avshop/y...airmap100.html

$34.95 if you were to buy it separately.

The yoke mount comes with the original Airmap/Airmap 300
and looking at the spec, comes with the 100 too.

Paul