Adhesive for vertical card compass?

Old May 24th 05, 02:50 AM

Default Adhesive for vertical card compass?

I was wondering what kind of adhesive to use to reattach a vertical card
compass to the windshield of a C172?
Thanks,
GregM
Old May 24th 05, 05:31 AM
Blanche Cohen

In article , wrote:
I was wondering what kind of adhesive to use to reattach a vertical card
compass to the windshield of a C172?

Hm...never new that any adhesive was used. Always thought it was
a bracket that was bolted or screwed into the aircraft...

Old May 24th 05, 02:52 PM
Paul kgyy

Don't know about a compass, but I've tried double-stick foam tape on
other cockpit items and found that it comes loose in the summer. A
car-parts place might have something that's heat-proof. My VC compass
is bolted to a bracket attached to the center post on my Piper.

Old May 24th 05, 07:38 PM
Mike in GR

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't know about a compass, but I've tried double-stick foam tape on
other cockpit items and found that it comes loose in the summer. A
car-parts place might have something that's heat-proof. My VC compass
is bolted to a bracket attached to the center post on my Piper.

The only double stick tape I ever found that really stuck when the chips
are down is servo tape from the hobby shop.

Mike Z

Old May 24th 05, 09:02 PM
Icebound

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't know about a compass, but I've tried double-stick foam tape on
other cockpit items and found that it comes loose in the summer. A
car-parts place might have something ...

Car-parts places have the special glue used to stick rear-view-mirrors to
the glass windshield.... it works "okay" in the heat, but it is normally
used on metal-to-glass, and I don't know how it would work on plexi.

Old May 24th 05, 09:12 PM
RST Engineering

But let's get back to the main question. I'm trying to remember if I've
ever seen a compass glued to the windshield in a certificated (or
amateur-built, for that matter) aircraft.

Which one(s)?

Jim

Old May 25th 05, 02:42 AM
tony roberts

Why would you want to glue it to the windshield?
1. - the glue may wreck the windshield,
2. - the oncoming plane hiding behind the vertical card may wreck your
day - not to mention your plane - AND your newly glued card.

Doesn't sound like a plan to me.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,

Old May 25th 05, 03:07 AM
John Galban

RST Engineering wrote:
But let's get back to the main question. I'm trying to remember if I've
ever seen a compass glued to the windshield in a certificated (or
amateur-built, for that matter) aircraft.

Which one(s)?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've never seen one. The
aircraft that didn't have a windshield center post to mount it on,
always had them mounted in the panel, or on top of the glareshield.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 25th 05, 04:37 AM

It wasn't my idea. Before I got the plane the owners took it to an avionics
shop and had it installed. Recently it fell off, and now there's a strip of
messed-up windshield. I don't see how I can do much worse to it by
reattaching it. As far as visibilty goes, why couldn't a plane be behind it
wherever it is mounted? Would it be any worse than a two piece windshield
with a center post-mounted compass?

Greg

Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 07:01 PM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 05:24 AM
Cost of Compass Card installed in a PA28-235 Jack Cunniff Owning 1 August 27th 03 06:14 AM
Vertical Card Compass compatible with "V" brace? Jeff P Owning 1 July 11th 03 03:46 AM