Airplane noise can indeed be annoying

Old July 8th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave J

Default Airplane noise can indeed be annoying

I went camping last weekend at the Sunol Regional Wilderness, in Sunol
CA. I took my son (14 mos. old) for a simple car camping/hiking trip
and we had a good time. But I could not get over the amount of
aircraft traffic over the park. It was non-stop!

Now the funny thing is that I'm a pilot, and I've spent countless
boring holes over the San Antonio reservoir (a few miles away).
Morever, I know that the SUNOL intersection is only 10 miles away and
is a fix for A LOT of procedures.

All of this gave me some sympathy for those who are frustrated with
airplane noise. I'm not talking about people who live in the approach
paths for major airports, for whom I have little sympathy, but with
people who unbenknownst to them, live under an important fix, or a
popular practice area.

It was an interesting experience.

-- dave j

PS -- By the way, it was the jet traffic that was most annoying. I
could not tell exactly what was going on, but it sounded like the
airliners descend from the flight levels to SUNOL and then put power
back in to maintain 10k or so. One after the next you could hear
engines spool up.
Old July 8th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.

A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.
Old July 9th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:26:11 -0700 (PDT), george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.

A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

That is when you glide, you should be prepared.
Old July 9th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.

A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 9th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:03:45 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

In article
,
george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.

A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish.

That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Franklin
Old July 9th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.
A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish.

That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
about.
Old July 10th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
busy GA airport, directly under the way-out-there approach to 17.
Strangely enough, the only traffic that bothers me is the police
helicopter as it rushes over my house to wherever...

But, I also live in a city environment where it's rarely and truly
quiet, there's always some ambient noise that intrudes inside the
house.

Old July 10th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.
A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish.

That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
about.

"Cruising" is when you are at the plane's best speed. "Gliding" in
flight without power.

I'll help you with any other terms you might like.
Old July 10th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On 10 Jul 2009 04:14:44 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Returning to the original topic....I live 5 miles due north of a very
busy GA airport,

Harstfield? Atlanta Georgia?

directly under the way-out-there approach to 17.
Strangely enough, the only traffic that bothers me is the police
helicopter as it rushes over my house to wherever...

Guilt.

But, I also live in a city environment where it's rarely and truly
quiet, there's always some ambient noise that intrudes inside the
house.

That's Atlanta, I have been there many times.
Old July 10th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

george wrote:

On Jul 9, 7:11*am, Dave J wrote:

It was an interesting experience.
A far more interesting experience is when you're flying and suddenly
there is none of that annoying engine noise.

Somewhat less interesting but far more fun is when there's none of that
annoying engine noise for the whole flight, start to finish.

That's called "cruising". Learn it.

Mike is talking about flying gliders. Not really sure what you're talking
about.

"Cruising" is when you are at the plane's best speed. "Gliding" in
flight without power.

I'll help you with any other terms you might like.

And so "cruising" is related to making an entire flight without engine
noise (or power) how?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Airplane Noise Linked To High Blood Pressure Larry Dighera Piloting 9 November 25th 07 08:10 AM
FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Piloting 26 January 13th 07 12:06 AM
airplane noise can impair young students [email protected] Piloting 28 November 7th 05 04:11 AM
Annoying Habbits? Slick Soaring 16 July 2nd 04 06:39 PM
another annoying commercial wannabe question... gatt Piloting 4 May 7th 04 12:37 AM