Adrenalin rush

Old September 18th 05, 03:16 AM
Wizard of Draws

Default Adrenalin rush

September 17, 2004 1:00 1.3 hrs. (.2 actual)

It was an overcast morning that cleared somewhat to scattered clouds around
5 and 6 thousand. Steve M. and I had plans to get a little actual on the way
to Thompson-Mcduffie (KHQU), and possibly log an approach or two. After I
filed and pre-flighted, we hopped in and contacted Atlanta Approach to open
our flight plan while we sat on the ground. As we sat there, Steve
discovered that we had power to our #2 radio, but no display. Not a flight
ending squawk, but annoying.

After getting our clearance direct HQU at 3000, expect 5000 after 10
minutes, void if not off in 10, we went wheels up from 22 and departed the
pattern from midfield on course 120. As soon as we reached 3000 they cleared
us to 5000, where we began to run into the clouds. After I leveled off and
setup for cruise, we had a few minutes to enjoy looking at the inside of the
clouds. When we reached the middle of Lake Lanier, the clouds gave way and
we had a pretty hazy view in front of us.

Then we smelled it. A sharp electrical smell that told us something was
burning and not quite right. Steve quickly turned off the misbehaving #2
radio. The smell got stronger, but there was no visible smoke. A moment
later, when the realization hit home that we might have a serious problem, I
keyed the mike to tell Atlanta Center that we smelled smoke, may have a
developing issue with our #2 radio, and that we wanted to divert to Athens
as a precaution. He answered immediately that Gainesville was our nearest
airport, and asked if we were declaring an emergency, can we maintain our
current altitude. I replied affirmative on the altitude but we didn't have
an emergency yet, so we just wanted vectors to Gainesville. "OK, turn left
heading 050, and it will be 11 miles at your 12 o'clock." Then he gave us
the pertinent airport info and handed us off to Atlanta Center on 134.8,
telling us that they were aware of our situation. They instructed us to
descend and maintain 3700. Shortly after we arrived there, he cleared us to
land on the runway of our choice.

By now we were directly over the airport, so we canceled IFR, alerted GVL
UNICOM of our situation and dropped into the pattern where another plane on
base leg terminated his approach to get out of our way. A pretty gusty
crosswind made for a roller coaster style approach, but we made it down
without bending any metal.

After we parked, we tried to pull the #2 radio to confirm our suspicions
that it was the source of our problem, but we didn't have an Allen wrench
and the shops on the field were all closed. So we called Randall and he sent
Steve's son Ryan in a 172 with a set that turned out to be too short to be
any good. So we climbed in anyway and didn't turn on the #2 on the way home
while Ryan flew back in loose formation with us. When Steve pulled out the
radio after we landed at 47A, it was very apparent from the strong smell
coming out of the box that something had burnt inside. Thankfully, it didn't
develop into anything more serious, whether by luck or turning it off as
quickly as we did.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 18th 05, 03:22 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 9/17/05 10:16 PM, in article
, "Wizard of Draws"
wrote:

September 17, 2004 1:00 1.3 hrs. (.2 actual)

Oops. -- 2005

Old September 18th 05, 02:45 PM
tscottme

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BF524628.32285%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...
September 17, 2004 1:00 1.3 hrs. (.2 actual)

I'm glad everything worked out so well. Nothing I write is suggesting you
made any sort of error. But I participated in a research study some years
ago that firmly cemented in my mind that one common idea many pilots have is
exactly wrong. Have no fear of declaring an emergency.

Have zero hesitation to declare an emergency to ATC. You don't get mired in
paperwork if your situation is less than a genuine emergency. You don't get
a visit from the Feds who will interogate you for any pretext to yank your
license. In short, declaring an emergency gives you and ATC more room to
get a good outcome. The only likely outcome of declaring an emergency which
ends in a happy outcome is that ATC may request you call them after landing
so they will know things worked out OK. Your info won't be forwarded to OKC
for some official investigation into your competence unless you end up
bending or breaking something important.

You aren't required to land at an undesirable location just because you
declared an emergency. You aren't required to rat on yourself to the Feds
or your insurance company. Making the declaration may keep a worried pilot
from having to answer about not dotting some I or crossing some T. "If in
doubt, shout it out."

--
Scott

Old September 18th 05, 05:51 PM

tscottme wrote:
[...]

You should always telephone the facility after on the ground to
determine with certainty whether they want a report per 91.123d
Old September 18th 05, 08:56 PM
Wizard of Draws

On 9/18/05 9:45 AM, in article ,
"tscottme" wrote:

[...]

I understand. If the situation had deteriorated at all, say the appearance
of smoke, I would have had no qualms about using the E word. But once we
turned off the radio, the smell seemed to fade away noticeably, relieving
our tension a bit in the process.
I have to give credit to the controllers, they were very helpful, quick and
reassuring. I noticed my tone of voice went up a notch and theirs never
varied a bit.

Old September 18th 05, 11:48 PM
john smith

Then we smelled it. A sharp electrical smell that told us something was
burning and not quite right. Steve quickly turned off the misbehaving #2
radio. The smell got stronger, but there was no visible smoke. A moment
later, when the realization hit home that we might have a serious problem, I
keyed the mike to tell Atlanta Center that we smelled smoke, may have a
developing issue with our #2 radio, [snip]

Another case of the electronic device in the circuit path to protect the
circuit breaker from overload.
Old September 19th 05, 12:44 AM
Doug Carter

On 2005-09-18, john smith wrote:

Another case of the electronic device in the circuit path to protect the
circuit breaker from overload.

Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wiring, not the device.
Old September 19th 05, 02:53 AM
John T

Doug Carter wrote:

Another case of the electronic device in the circuit path to protect
the circuit breaker from overload.

Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wiring, not the device.

Read it again with the humor circuit engaged.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old September 19th 05, 03:28 AM
Doug Carter

On 2005-09-19, John T wrote:
Doug Carter wrote:

Another case of the electronic device in the circuit path to protect
the circuit breaker from overload.

Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wiring, not the device.

Read it again with the humor circuit engaged.

Sorry, humor circuit shorted after reading other posts in this newsgroup
(not yours
Old September 19th 05, 05:20 PM
Everett M. Greene

john smith writes:
Then we smelled it. A sharp electrical smell that told us something was
burning and not quite right. Steve quickly turned off the misbehaving #2
radio. The smell got stronger, but there was no visible smoke. A moment
later, when the realization hit home that we might have a serious problem, I
keyed the mike to tell Atlanta Center that we smelled smoke, may have a
developing issue with our #2 radio, [snip]

Another case of the electronic device in the circuit path to protect the
circuit breaker from overload.

How true! :-)

Now, if there are any EEs present, perhaps they can explain
why aircraft radios tend to fail in this manner whereas
nothing much of anything else in the electronic world fails
in a manner to produce heat and smoke. Are avionics units
designed so close to the components' limits to cause this
failure mode? I can understand a transmitter going up in
smoke (while transmitting), but a receiver?