Flying Southern California (Video)

Old July 10th 05, 06:55 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Flying Southern California (Video)

Here is an entertaining 5-minute video that shows the fun,
affordability, and accessibility of private aviation in southern
California. You can view it at
http://www.pilotgetaways.com/index.html?view=video

(Unfortunately, the pilot seems a bit of a chauvinist.)
Old July 11th 05, 12:06 AM
Robert M. Gary

chauvinist??

Old July 11th 05, 05:17 AM
Larry Dighera

On 10 Jul 2005 16:06:15 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in .com::

chauvinist??

I thought the piece was well done, showed aviation to be a progressive
and pleasant step to circumvent automobile traffic congestion, and the
combined beauty of the composite aircraft, two beautiful people in a
magnificent setting on the Pacific sea coast, seemed to touch a
resonate chord. However, the pilot's crass name calling upon learning
the pneumatic female passenger had been flying with her seat belt
unfastened, and his comment about his performance under pressure later
that night were a feeble attempt at whit at best, if not outright
chauvinistic. Aside from that, I found the video to be the best
promotional piece I've seen to date. It is certainly several orders
of magnitude superior to the insipid 'Be A Pilot' TV commercials.
People who are able to afford aviation would actually be tempted by
the glamour and expediency of flight portrayed in this video.

Old July 11th 05, 11:10 AM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
[...] However, the pilot's crass name calling upon learning
the pneumatic female passenger had been flying with her seat belt
unfastened,

I forget the exact word he used, but it was hardly offensive, and certainly
was completely genderless. It might not be something you'd say to a
complete stranger, but to a person with whom you're comfortable, it was a
light-hearted, gentle ribbing.

and his comment about his performance under pressure later
that night were a feeble attempt at whit at best, if not outright
chauvinistic.

Again, I fail to see how his comment about his performance under pressure
could be construed as chauvinistic. It in no way made any attempt to
belittle his passenger's gender; if anything, it was self-deprecating.

Likewise the seat-belt exchange in no way implied that the problem was with
the gender of his passenger.

Aside from that, I found the video to be the best
promotional piece I've seen to date. It is certainly several orders
of magnitude superior to the insipid 'Be A Pilot' TV commercials.
People who are able to afford aviation would actually be tempted by
the glamour and expediency of flight portrayed in this video.

One would hope. That said, it must have cost a pretty penny to produce, and
I would be surprised if it's getting very much airtime beyond its original
airing, if any at all.

Pete

Old July 11th 05, 04:20 PM
Ben Hallert

However, the pilot's crass name calling upon learning
the pneumatic female passenger had been flying with her seat belt

Her: "Should I put on my seatbelt?"
Him: "Yeah, your seatbelt should have been on, you silly goofball."
(both laugh)

Errm... Since when is 'goofball' crass? You're the fella that called
her 'pneumatic'. Thanks for the link, but geez...

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old July 15th 05, 05:12 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I did not find the video anything like what you describe. It was one of the
best promotional videos I have seen. Better than the stuff AOPA makes.
Although there was a plug for Pilot Getaway Magazine, it was tastefully
done and quite enjoyable.

Larry Dighera wrote in
: