How many instruments can I use for VFR?

Old November 4th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default How many instruments can I use for VFR?

How many instruments am I allowed to use for VFR flight (for purposes
of exams)? Is it okay to use VORs to find my way, or do I have to fly
exclusively using landmarks without any radionavigation?

Old November 4th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gary Drescher

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
How many instruments am I allowed to use for VFR flight (for purposes
of exams)? Is it okay to use VORs to find my way, or do I have to fly
exclusively using landmarks without any radionavigation?

In case you've misplaced the link, here it is again:
http://www.faa.gov/education_researc...S-8081-14A.pdf

Old November 4th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:
How many instruments am I allowed to use for VFR flight (for purposes
of exams)? Is it okay to use VORs to find my way, or do I have to fly
exclusively using landmarks without any radionavigation?

You can't use any.

Old November 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BT

both

Old November 4th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

both

Well, now I have answers of none and both. One of these answers must
be incorrect.

Old November 4th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

You can use them all.

mike

Old November 4th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gene Seibel

It's your computer. You can use all you want.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old November 4th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Cirrus

Mxsmanic wrote:

All these "replies", and I can see how you are still confused. It's
been a while since my Prive checkride, but be expected to demonstrate
pilotage, dead reckoning, and use of navaids. Notice on the PTS that
both areas are listed. The reality is that it will depend on your
examiner. Most VFR cross country flight will involve some combination
of navigation skills- you have to get on that airway somehow, right?
On your checkride, note your time when you takeoff, and explain to the
examiner how you are getting from the runway onto course. Make all your
turns from point A to point B, and update your flight log times as you
go.This might satisy him/her that you have the skills. You are the one
planning your cross country, so make sure you know what you have
planned- examiners have a sixth sense for knowing what you don't
know,lol.
Also, there are a lot of things listed in hte PTS. You can expect that
the examiner will be lumping things together in the interest of time.
If you did everthing on the PTS individually, your checkride would last
all day. For example, they can combine a distraction with turns around
a point and evaluate how well you hold altitude all at the same time.
For my checkride, after we did the initial part of my flight plan the
examiner said that he wanted me to divert to another airport. he asked
me to figure out when and how we would get there, and to make it
happen. I was allowed to use everthing available to me- my charts,
navaids, but most importantly my training and common sense. I guessing
this will be the part where your pilotage and dead reckoning skills
will be most handy. They just want to make sure you are safe up there.
Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun on the checkride!

Old November 4th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gary Drescher

"Cirrus" wrote in message
oups.com...
All these "replies", and I can see how you are still confused...
Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun on the checkride!

Just to clarify: Mx has said repeatedly that he has no intention of ever
flying a plane (even for a single intro flight, let alone a checkride).
Hence, the terse replies to his question.

--Gary

Old November 4th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Cirrus" wrote in news:1162658435.179038.141140
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

All these "replies", and I can see how you are still confused. It's
been a while since my Prive checkride,

Cirrus,

Check out the posting history of Mx. You will see very quickly

A. He has never flown a plane
B. Never plans to fly a plane

Save your quality replies for those that will fully appreciate your input.

Allen