FSDO followups on equipment probkems reported to ATC?

Old July 26th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default FSDO followups on equipment probkems reported to ATC?

One of our club aircraft was recently on an IFR flight plan in VMC. The
instrument student and his instructor noted that the DG was precessing
excessively. They eventually canceled the flight plan and returned to
their point of origin VFR.

In canceling with ATC, they mentioned something about the DG having a
problem.

Later that day, the club received a call from the FSDO about the "vacuum
failure" experienced by one of our aircraft.

I've since chatted with the [nice] fellow from the FSDO myself (as one of
the people involved in aircraft maintenance in the club). He explained
that this was a part of a long-standing policy. Equipment failures that
are reported to ATC are reported by ATC to the local FSDO. The FSDO
checks into this, confirming that the problem was "resolved" by a mechanic
before the aircraft flies again.

The example he used was that of an RG with a flickering gear light.
Assume the pilot reports the light to the tower. Further assume that the
landing is uneventful (ie. the gear holds) and the flickering stops after
landing. In this case, the FSDO is going to check that the aircraft
received maintenance before it was flown again.

I asked about the case where the above landing occurred at a field w/o
services. He said that a mechanic should be brought in before the plane
is flown to confirm that the gear is down and locked.

There was a significant level of ambiguity in what I was told. He
mentioned several times in the explanation that part of the trigger in the
case of our aircraft was cancellation of the flight plan. I pointed out
that I'd canceled IFR flight plans plenty of times. He then said that the
difference was that my cancellations were typically when starting a visual
approach to my intended airport, and the event under discussion involved
an airplane not reaching its original destination.

I pointed out that, once I was VFR, nobody knows where I land. He agreed
with a little confusion.

I know that the FAA has an interest in assuring that aircraft with
problems are repaired. So do pilots.

But I have never heard of this before. I wonder how well this
long-standing policy handles subtleties like a VFR flight in an aircraft
with a too-quickly precessing DG. And what are the possible sanctions?

I was a little afraid to ask about that last point laugh.

Is anyone familiar with this policy? I'd love to see some of the gaps
filled in.

Thanks...

Andrew
http://flyingclub.org/

Old July 26th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

I've never heard of that policy either.

I would have asked the FSDO inspector which section of the inspector's
handbook covers that policy. It would seem it should be covered by
FAR too.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...spectors/8300/
Airworthiness Inspector's Handbook, Order 8300.10

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...spectors/8700/
General Aviation Operations Inspector's Handbook, Order 8700.1

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...e/fsdo_pilots/
More FAA information
Old July 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

FAR 91 under IFR requires reports on many things, unforecast
weather and equipment failure are two.

ATC is part of the FAA and the FSDO is the investigator.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 26th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this policy? I'd love to see some of the gaps
filled in.

Back about '93 I had the oil pressure flucuate on my 182. I was pretty
sure it wasn't a big deal but as I came into Merril Field (pretty much
in the middle of Anchorage) I explained the problem to the tower and
asked to stay high until I was over the field. He asked if I wanted to
declare an emergency or if I wanted equipment standing by both of which
I refused. Landed without incident. A week or so later a guy from FSDO
called up and wanted to know about "my landing due to no oil pressure".
I explained that my destination was MRI and that it had only flucuated.
He requested that I stop by the FSDO with the aircraft logs and my logs.
I called AOPA and was told that there was a "crack down" in Alaska at
the time due to "unauthorized owner maintenance". I took my logs in and
the only thing he looked for was my BFR and the a/c annual.

The tower had obviously reported the incident to FSDO.

Early in 2001 I cancelled an IFR flight and flightplan due to the
attitude indicator failing just after takeoff. I was talking to
approach at the time and told them the reason for the cancellation. I
never heard anything further about it.
Old July 26th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

ATC is required to call the regional office and log the event whenever a
for hire aircraft does something unusual, such as aborting a takeoff.
Reporting that their DG is busted and then cancelling does not meet that
requirement. At the facilities I've worked at we would never call FSDO
or the regional office because of what you said.

Old July 26th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:20:38 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:

FAR 91 under IFR requires reports on many things, unforecast weather and
equipment failure are two.

ATC is part of the FAA and the FSDO is the investigator.

Yes, we pilots are required to report. I'm not quite sure that one cannot
cancel (assuming VMC) as an alternative to reporting an equipment failure,
but that's not really my question.

My question is more what occurs after we report. I've never heard of this
process whereby the FSDO must confirm that maintenance has been done.

- Andrew

Old July 26th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:37:51 -0600, Newps wrote:

for hire aircraft

The situation that brought this to my attention involved a club aircraft,
but there was an instructor on board instructing. I cannot imagine how
TRACON would know about that, but - had they - would that cross the "for
hire" threshold such that you'd have to report an equipment problem?

Or do you mean something like a 135 or 121 flight?

- Andrew

Old July 26th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:20:38 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
r2Rxg.84249$ZW3.23051@dukeread04::

FAR 91 under IFR requires reports on many things, unforecast
weather and equipment failure are two.

I found this:

§ 91.187 Operation under IFR in controlled airspace: Malfunction
reports.
(a) The pilot in command of each aircraft operated in controlled
airspace under IFR shall report as soon as practical to ATC any
malfunctions of navigational, approach, or communication equipment
occurring in flight.

I suppose an inoperative/malfunctioning directional gyro would
qualify.

However, I don't see any mention of having the FSDO inspector signoff
before return to service.

There is some mention of reporting inoperative equipment in this
appendix:

Appendix A to Part 91—Category II Operations: Manual, Instruments,
Equipment, and Maintenance

But I wouldn't think that applicable in this case.

Perhaps you'd be good enough to locate the citation that mandates FSDO
contacting the pilot when he mentions a DG malfunction:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.3.10&idno=14

Thanks.

Old July 26th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It may just be a regional office and an inspector with an
itch he can't scratch in public.

Old July 27th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:37:51 -0600, Newps wrote:

for hire aircraft

The situation that brought this to my attention involved a club aircraft,
but there was an instructor on board instructing. I cannot imagine how
TRACON would know about that, but - had they - would that cross the "for
hire" threshold such that you'd have to report an equipment problem?

Or do you mean something like a 135 or 121 flight?

Yes, part 121 or 135.