Heavy pilot - what glider to opt for?

Old November 5th 13, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Heavy pilot - what glider to opt for?

At 07:47 04 November 2013, Chris Rollings wrote:
One source of confusion on cockpit loads is that the airworthiness
requirement for certification under JAR 22 was (and I think still is

under
the current regulations) that, with basic instrumentation, the minimum
cockpit load must be not more than 70 Kg/154 lbs and the maximum not less
than 110 Kg/ 242 lbs. Most gliders, if weighed and weight and balance
calculations done, will have limits wider than this, in some cases much
wider. Some time back, the major German manufacturers developed the
practice of sending new gliders out of the factory placarded with the
70/110 kg limits, checking their weight and balance and calculating
cockpit loads on delivery usually enabled the re-placarding of wider
limits. This was a common practice in the UK, not sure if it was much

done
in the USA.

I think you will find that the upper cockpit seat limit is fixed by the
certification of the harness/attachment points which is why most gliders
have 110kg (242lbs) as the seat limit.

Old November 8th 13, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Del Copeland

I believe that NASA have several redundant Space Shuttles that
should meet your needs! Alternatively go on a diet. Try sitting in a
few gliders and see what is comfortable.

Del C

At 19:17 30 October 2013, wrote:
Good evening,

I need some assistance!

I am an early solo pilot looking to buy my first glider, but don't

really
know what to go for! I want it for local soaring, but eventually to

go
cross country in it.

The slight issue is that I am 6`4 tall and 17.5 stone - arguably too

heavy,
but the question is what to go for.

I'll obviously need a roomy cockpit!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old November 9th 13, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary O'Neill[_2_]

I am going to suggest a Lak 12 , they are rated to have the cockpit weight
raised up to 130kgs with tail weights but they are for the long legged
shorter bodied person, I do not fit!
If the other issues around a long winged old open class are OK then you
have a 50:1 glider for a reasonable price that can handle your weight,
height and body geometry, try one on for size , the only other suggestion
is the HP24 rated to 300 pounds and a large cockpit.

At 08:45 01 November 2013, Surge wrote:
I'm an early solo pilot and I am also looking around for a first glider
and=
leaning towards an Astir G102 CS.
I'm also 6'4" tall although my mass is a little lower (95kg/15 stone).

The problem is that not every one has the same proportions. For example I
a=
m long in the legs and have a shorter upper torso.
I did all my training in a G103 and I did not fit well at all. The air
brak=
e would pop open if I used full right rudder because the lever was jammed
u=
p against my left knee. Other students my height were longer in the torso
a=
nd had no problems fitting in the G103.

In terms of the glider I can say that the club G102 Astir CS I fly has a
la=
rge roomy cockpit and much more legroom than the G103. Finding the right
ty=
pe of parachute is an important factor too as it has a vast effect on

head
=
and leg room.
The maximum cockpit load in the G102's is 110kg and you're going to be on
t=
he limit without a parachute and a bit over with one.
I doubt that 8kg over the limit with a chute would have any major effect
on=
handling but one would need to take insurance and liability into account
i=
f you do decide to go that route.
Take note that the Astir CS-77 has a flatter canopy which makes the
cockpit=
much more cramped and adds zero performance benefit from what I've read.
In terms of handling the Astir is nice and docile on low hour pilots yet
ha=
s enough performance for decent cross country flying. I haven't managed

=
scare myself with one yet.
In terms of cost I don't think you're going to find anything much cheaper
i=
n the glass range than the G102 and spares appear to be plentiful world
wid=
e.

I'd love to purchase an ASW-20 as my first ship (after I have a few more
ho=
urs under my belt) but they sell for around four times that of a G102 and
o=
nly add around 6 points to the L/D from what I can see.

Old November 9th 13, 08:58 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote="Gary O'Neill[_2_];846500"]I am going to suggest a Lak 12 , they are rated to have the cockpit weight
raised up to 130kgs with tail weights but they are for the long legged
shorter bodied person, I do not fit!
snip

Would like to know where the 130 kg figure comes from. The flight manual says 110 kg max cockpit
Old November 10th 13, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No matter what your size.
A Caproni California A-21 is for you.
Make sure you get the jet engine self launch option.
Old November 11th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

--

Ventus_a

BGA has a faxed letter from the factory allowing 130kg in the cockpit if 3kg of lead are installed in the tail. AFAIK, this was for a single glider, LAK-12 sn 6178. However, there is another letter on the same topic regarding BGA 4170, which refers to the same FAX date. I presume it's the same glider, however, apart from the date of the FAX, nothing in the correspondence links the serial number to the registration. Seems to be a one off approval.

YMMV
Old November 11th 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:04:33 AM UTC+11, Dan Marotta wrote:
What's a "stone"?

Whats a "pound"?

The sooner you guys adopt the metric system the better.
It's the 21st Century for goodness sake.
I won't hold my breath though
Old November 12th 13, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:05:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Whats a "pound"?

A lot more than an Oz$ ;-)
Old November 12th 13, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 12:17:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Good evening,

I need some assistance!

I am an early solo pilot looking to buy my first glider, but don't really know what to go for! I want it for local soaring, but eventually to go cross country in it.

The slight issue is that I am 6`4 tall and 17.5 stone - arguably too heavy, but the question is what to go for.

I'll obviously need a roomy cockpit!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Many years ago someone else posted a very similar question and got pretty much the same type of replies - except for mine. I recommended that he lose weight. I know it can be done: I lost 50 lbs and am back into a 34" waist. A year or so after posting that I was at Ephrata, WA when someone came up to me and introduced himself. I knew him, but didn't recognize him - he had read my post and took my advice, sucessfully! It gave my great sense of pride that I had had a material impact on someone elses life.

So, I am repeating the advice: lose weight! It is not that hard if you just commit yourself (sort of like getting your pilots license). One pound of fat is about 3500 calories. If you just cut 500 calories (two sugared soft drinks) a day out of your diet you will lose one pound a week. That is FIFTY pounds a year. I did it by cutting one meal a day and being prudent about the other two meals. Believe me, I didn't starve!

Good luck!

Tom
Old November 12th 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well then, what's a kilostone, a boulder? Is a millistone, a pebble or a
grain? How many kilometers (kilometres?) in a minute of latitude?

Sheesh - the birds are walking today and it's not even winter yet...

wrote in message
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:04:33 AM UTC+11, Dan Marotta wrote:
What's a "stone"?

Whats a "pound"?

The sooner you guys adopt the metric system the better.
It's the 21st Century for goodness sake.
I won't hold my breath though

Hangar dolly for heavy glider Dave Nadler Soaring 20 May 29th 13 05:49 PM
Glider pilot and ME 163 Komet Pilot Rudy Opitz Has Died Paul Remde Soaring 5 May 12th 10 12:56 AM
ETA glider landing with heavy front wind in Rieti, videoclip PCool Soaring 2 October 1st 09 03:10 PM
glider pilot net None Soaring 3 July 28th 05 02:29 AM
Heavy pilot & lead in tail Flyhighdave Soaring 8 January 4th 04 01:28 AM