Survived

Old July 9th 03, 08:50 PM
Jeff Osier-Mixon

You can say that again! Our insurance company is being VERY COOL about
the whole thing and have purchased a new prop, as we couldn't find a
used one to overhaul and mine was technically dead by mandate after the
prop strike. They are paying outright for lots of stuff, though having
to fix the problem---worn and misrigged gear downlock/retract parts---is
going to cost me in the neighborhood of $3000. Raytheon gets almost
$1000 alone for a small pressure switch in the pitot system.

Then again, after the tear-down and subsequent rebuild, everything on
the plane will be perfect, right? duck

Thomas Lembessis wrote:

Sounds like you have a good insurance company. Back in 1989, the right
main gear didn't come down in my Seneca. My first thought after q
tipping the right prop was "thank goodness my deductable is $500"
Sure!

My insurance company wouldn't pay for worn out parts that Mattituck
found during the teardown. And since the right prop had some 1000 hrs
on it, they tried to prorate this against the cost of a new prop. (as
opposed to against the cost of an overhaul). They (Comav insurance)
eventually paid me for a new prop.

Total cost to me was $6100 , including repairing the gear (an SDR was
written up for the trunion bolt) Some 500 deductable, huh?

Thomas Lembessis
ATP, F/E (B727)

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:waVOa.17800$H17.5859@sccrnsc02...

Yep, that was our major mistake. No more parking for us! From now on,
ALL landings are to be touch and go...

Wow -- what a story.

Sorry to hear it -- but think how cool that 3-blade prop's gonna look!

Old July 9th 03, 10:08 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jeff Osier-Mixon" wrote in message ...
"Less noise" and "better climb rate" are what got me. Others with the
same plane/prop combination report a loss of about 1-2 knots, but an
increase in climb by 100fpm. That can make a big difference in a weak
climber like the Sierra.

I'm about to switch from a 2 blade to a 3 blade on my Navion. Of course, I'm
also adding 40 more HP, so it will be hard to determine...

Old July 10th 03, 01:28 AM
John Galban

Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote in message ...
Bear
Lake County Airport in southeast Idaho was under us. The proprietor
came out and pumped fuel, then headed off to cut weeds at the far end of
the airport. We petted the airport dog and checked weather and had a
bite to eat, then piled in for the remaining leg.

Bear Lake County! I didn't think anybody else landed there. It's a
regular stop on my flights from PHX to Montana. The old gas pumping
geezer that lives on the airport is a real character. Don't try to
leave without signing his guest book! I've been dropping in there for
years and only once did I see another plane. Don't know how they keep
that place open, but I'm glad they do.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time there.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 10th 03, 09:29 AM
Jeff Osier-Mixon

Yep, it's quite a place. Good fuel price, and the proprietor was very
kind to us both before and after our acci... whups, INcident. The
runway is in the process of being completely resurfaced right now, so it
should be brand spankin' next time you stop there. When you do, tell
'em I said howdy.

Old July 10th 03, 01:09 PM
Dennis O'Connor

No insurance company that intends to survive will make you better than you
were before the accident on their nickle...

Old July 10th 03, 03:01 PM
Russell Kent

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

No insurance company that intends to survive will make you better than you
were before the accident on their nickle...

Hogwash. Insurance companies survive by taking in premiums equal to paid
claims plus overhead. Making the claimant "better than whole" (insurance
term) tends to encourage insurance fraud, however, which is one reason they
work hard to avoid it.

Russell Kent

Old July 10th 03, 04:42 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
No insurance company that intends to survive will make you better than you
were before the accident on their nickle...

It happens quite frequently. Exclusive of the stuff that happened prior to the
accident, mine was better than when I got started. Lots of times it's not possible
or worth their while to find a used part and they'll just pay for new.

Old July 10th 03, 10:35 PM
Russell Kent

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

How many insurance companies have you dealt with?

Denny - used to be in the auto body business...

Several. And my father retired from USAA after a zillion years (30? I think).
So I'd say I have a somewhat better understanding of insurance and actuarial
science that the average Joe.

Don't misunderstand: I was only pointing out what is required for financial
survival, not growth or profit. And I agree that some insurers will try to
minimize claims paid using interesting (or sometimes downright fraudulent)
means.

Russell Kent

Old July 10th 03, 10:47 PM
Ron Natalie

"Russell Kent" wrote in message ...

Several. And my father retired from USAA after a zillion years (30? I think).
So I'd say I have a somewhat better understanding of insurance and actuarial
science that the average Joe.

Of course USAA is one of the more enlightened and highly customer oriented
companies out there. I use them for just about everything.

Old July 15th 03, 03:50 AM
Joe Maj

Or, they can tremendously increase it.

Some of the top Mooney shops won't install 3 blade props on 4 cylinder engines.
Too many instances of vibrations that defy all attempts to eradicate them.

Roger Halstead wrote in message . ..

On the 4-bangers they can make a tremendous reduction in vibration.