basic spar construction

Old December 16th 04, 04:40 PM
Dave Schneider

I just clicked on it and it works for me. Doesn the ")" end up in the
address for you? If so, try removing it.
http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm

From: "Dave Schneider"
Date: 12/14/2004 13:06 Central Standard Time
Thanks. I see you are using the carbon rods too. (in reference to a
previous link:
http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm)

That link didn't work for me.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 17th 04, 04:30 PM
Dave Schneider

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the $95 program. That may seem like a
lot, but Don also wants to verfiy that your using the program correctly.
I'm thinking that the consulting support that goes with the program makes it
a bargan!

"Dave Schneider" wrote in message
Thanks. The prop optimizer is interesting too. My other interest is
hovercraft. Again, not an airplane, but it does have airplane components
... and I guess it does fly ... even if it is only inches above the

surface.
:-)
http://groups.msn.com/UH13p

I have emailed them and asked for the appropriateness of their programs

for
my non-standard applications.

"Fitzair4" wrote in message
Bates Engineering has a DOS computer program for designing a wing spar.

www.aeroOptimizer.com

I have met him and listen to his forums at Oshkosh many times.

Larry Fitzgerald

Old December 19th 04, 02:44 AM

I have never seen a Quickie that had a removeable canard or main wing.
( I built the single place, so I'm certain of that.) I have looked at
hundreds of pictures of other Quickies or seen them in person and have
never seen removeable wings. ( Not to say that someone out there hasn't
done it of course, but it's not in the construction plans ) The
fuselage, however, can disconnect aft of the main wing if you would
like to build it that way. It's approved, but take it from me, it's a
nightmare !! I do believe the main wing of the Dragonfly is
removeable, but I'm not sure of the canard.

Neal Fulco

James R. Freeman wrote:
Dave for Your info. The Quickie and Q2 use a fiberglass build up spar

as You
will see from the plans. The Q-200 uses a carbon fiber spar.
Yes the Quickie canard (front wing) can be removed.

Jim

"James R. Freeman" wrote in message
Dave:
I found the URL. It is:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=141

Jim

"Dave Schneider" wrote in message
after a bit of surfing i found this. Is something like this

what you
are
talking about?

http://www.hinkleymall.com/airplane_cd.html

There is also this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=26441&item
=4510814564&rd=1

Basic question for the Quickie, do the wings disassemble? I'm

also
looking
for techniques for attaching wings.

Thanks!
Dave

"James R. Freeman" wrote in message
Dave:
Take a look at the ruttan wings on a q-1 or q2 it will fit

the
bill
for
what you want. There is one site on the web for free downloads

of the
q2
info but I do not have the URL at hand. Q1 plan can be had on

C.D. for
less
than $10 via EBay.

"Dave Schneider" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest some home built construction sites where

they
show
the
process of building a spar for a foam composite wing. I'm

confused
on
how
spar is built for a foam wing. It doesn't seem like the

foam
itself
would
provide enough structure to provide a web. It would seem

like
you'd
have
to cut the wing foil, cut out the location of the spar, build

the
spar,
and
then reinstert that section back into the foam wing.

Thanks,
Dave

Old December 27th 04, 03:34 PM
Dave Schneider

I've been looking at the plans and didn't see anything removable either.
I'm familiar with the way model airplanes join segmented wings, but I'm
unsure if they do something similar on "real" airplanes.

ups.com...

Old December 27th 04, 07:59 PM

Fitzair4 wrote:
Bates Engineering has a DOS computer program for designing a wing

spar.

www.aeroOptimizer.com

I have met him and listen to his forums at Oshkosh many times.

Larry Fitzgerald

About the Bates Engineering DOS programs....I have never used DOS and
didn't start "computin" until Windows became the "standard?" Are the
programs such that they can have the required info input into standard
Excel worksheets? If they can, the spar program would be a great tool
to play with in designing an I-beam spar similar to what the Vans
aircraft use.

Neal

Old December 27th 04, 08:11 PM
Dave Schneider

No. It is a really crude interface by today's standards. It is a very
sequential menu driven interface. By sequential, I mean that if you choose
the wrong base menu item, you have to answer the rest of the sequential
prompts until you get back to the main menu. It gets the job done, and
that's it. I grew up on DOS so it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd
certainly prefer a better interface!

I should also say that the license agreement allows you to use the program
for something like 5 years after which time you'll have to buy the program
again in order to continue to use it. I'm not sure if there is any time
bomb in the program that actually prevents you from using it. I suppose I
could move my clock ahead and see what happens.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 27th 04, 10:41 PM

Anybody know of any other programs available for designing spars that
will use the more friendly Excel format?
Thanks in advance

Neal

Old December 28th 04, 08:49 PM
tffy

http://www.continuo.com/marske/perfo...lculations.htm

I would suggest you grab a college-level structures textbook and make
sure you understand all the inputs that are used...

Old December 30th 04, 02:07 PM
Dave Schneider

BTW: I already mentioned this, but Bates Engineering requests that they
verify that your spar design by sending them output from the spar optimizer.
My application isn't a life or death situation, but the intended use of this
program IS. If I was thinking about building something that actually flew,
I think I'd opt for a proven design and construction method over something
designed by my inept engineering expertise. :-)

ups.com...