F8 Crusader Variable Incidence Wing

Old July 14th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military

Default F8 Crusader Variable Incidence Wing

The Vought F8 Crusader was the only production military aircraft I
know of with a variable incidence wing. This feature was used to
improve pilot visibility on take off and landing, a critically
important thing for a carrier plane; several aircraft such as the
earlier Vought Cutlass and Douglas Skyray had the nose and cockpit
greatly revised in production versions for better visibility.

In operation off land bases, did the variable incidence wing have any
disadvantages? Did the approximately 7 degree wing incidence cause any
noticeable increase in drag during the take off run? In landing, did
the wing produce undesirable continued lift after touch down that
reduced braking action? Was it possible or practical to level the wing
after touch down to kill the lift, similar in effect to extending
spoilers on some aircraft?

Thank you,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Old July 16th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
theref

Also, the A-7 had a variable incidence wing.
Old July 16th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Bill Shatzer[_2_]

theref wrote:
Also, the A-7 had a variable incidence wing.

No it didn't.

Old July 18th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
theref

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message
theref wrote:
Also, the A-7 had a variable incidence wing.

No it didn't.

Damn. You are correct. I guess I stared at F-8s too long.

Old July 19th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
[email protected][_2_]

Was the V-I wing any better or worse than the F-14's swing wings?

Different purpose: F-8 "V-I" wing allowed higher angle of attack on
approach without requiring a longer landing gear and causing pilot
visibility problems. Wing itself didn't change (other than the usual
flaps, etc).

F-14 swing wings change their geometry to a slow-speed, high aspect
ratio, high lift configuration - which also reduces the fuselage
approach angle compared to a fixed, lower aspect ratio wing (think
F-4). The F-14 wing in high speed configutation is a completely
different beast than a Turkey's low speed approach-configured wing.

Kirk

Old August 14th 09, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
John Randolph

I flew the F-8D out of Miramar in 1965 when Tooter Teague and I talked our
respective C.Os (VF-121 and VF-124) into cross training. The F-8 exceeded
the F-4 in one in-flight characteristic only. It had a superb roll rate. It
was a joy to fly when cleaned up. But with the gear down and the wing up, it
was a truck. It was terrible. And that explained the high F-8 accident rate
among carrier pilots in those days.

The problem in landing the F-8 wasn't so much due to the variable incidence
wing. It was the power plant. On my first touch-and-go everything was great
at the 180. Then passing the 90 I got slow so I added some power. I got
slower, so I added more power. At the 45 I was suddenly very, very fast. I
damn near pulled the power back to idle. I was driving an unstable truck. I
loved the F8 when the wing was down and the gear up. I hated it when the
gear was down and the wing was up.

I hate to contemplate what the a/c would have been like without the variable
incidence wing.

Cdr John Newlin, USN (Ret.)

Old August 16th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
guy

On 14 July, 02:20, wrote:
[...]

The Supermarine Dumbo was built and flown with a variable incidence
wing but did not enter production.

Guy
Old August 16th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
guy

On 16 Aug, 18:03, guy wrote:
On 14 July, 02:20, wrote:

[...]

Guy- Hide quoted text -

link he-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Type_322

I would not however call it unsuccessfull, Supermarine had so much
Spitfire work on that they did not have the design capability to work
on the Dumbo too.

Guy
Old August 18th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military

On Aug 14, 2:17*am, "John Randolph" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply.

Judging from photographs of the Crusader with the wing in its high
incidence position, it appears that the rather bluff front of the wing
center section might generate a turbulent wake that could impinge on
the wing with possible adverse effects. Does anything in your
experience support or contradict this? How did handling with the wing
up compare with handling at the same speed and angle of attack with
the wing down?

Thank you again,
Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist