Dead Instruments Needed

Old November 27th 04, 06:26 PM
Charles Petersen

Default Dead Instruments Needed

Freedom's Wings Canada is constructing a gliding simulator, under the
direction of Project Leader Paul Moggach. The simulator will consist of a
Peregrine (Krosno) two place cockpit without the canopy, mounted on a motion
platform, (from an amusement park ride manufacturer), with a projector
mounted above the cockpit, driven by X Plane, and the image on a screen in
front of the cockpit. This will be similar to Lasham's simulator featured in
'Sailplane and Gliding' a month or two ago, but with approx. 15 degrees of
pitch and roll. Additional motion will be executed visually. It will be
transportable on a small trailer, and will be set up for demonstrations at
rehab hospitals, trade shows, aviation shows and outdoor adventure shows.
It will also be useful as a groundschool supplement, and off season currency
brush up. During the season, it will function as a second aircraft,
allowing an Instructor to take a student back to a troublesome air exercise
without the wait or the cost of a tow.

Freedom's Wings Canada, www.freedomswings.ca is an alliance of a local
gliding club (2004 the first chapter was York Soaring near Toronto, in 2005
we are hoping to expand to Gatineau Gliding near Ottawa, and maybe even CVVQ
in Quebec City), Youth Flight Canada (a registered Canadian Charity), and
one or more local or provincial or national organizations for the disabled ,
and our sponsors (the Ontario Trillium Foundation has paid for our glider,
and the Dominion of Canada General insurance Company pays for our operating
costs including insurance, tow fees and club memberships). The program
offers persons with disabilities Inspiration Flights in a glider and, for
those with the necessary strength in their hands, lessons using adaptive
hand controls to operate the rudder.

The instrumentation in the simulator's panel will be adapted to read
electrictronically, and mounted in the panel. If anybody has any dead
instruments (airspeed, altimeter, variometer, compass are required) lying
around, these would be welcome as this is a good place to start when
fabricating electronic versions. We will pay shipping to either a US or
Canadian address.

Old November 28th 04, 05:18 PM
John Sinclair

Hi Charles,
After 30 years in the glider repair business, I have
most of what you want;

2 ASI's (inop)
1 Alt '
2 Comp OK, but need more whiskey
1 VSI OK, I think
1 Cambridge vario 2.25' OK
1 Ball 3.15' OK
VP-3 computer with 2 varios (2.5') that are just basic
meters and could be driven by varying the electronic
input.

Let me know what you want. I will be glad to donate
any of the above to the cause. If you don't have a
use for the VP-3, I will give it to anyone. It's OK
except the 'altitude required' can't be read (half
gone) in the LCD display.
JJ Sinclair

Old November 29th 04, 04:06 PM
Charles Petersen

Thanks JJ,

We'll take it all! We have already been offered a couple of instruments,
but as we'll be modifying them so the needle is driven by a step motor, we
may mess one or more up in the process, and more is better. I'll write you
privately with my shipping address. Thanks fore your help, and the three
others who offered stuff directly.

Charles Petersen

Old November 29th 04, 04:16 PM
Bill Daniels

"Charles Petersen" wrote in message
Thanks JJ,

We'll take it all! We have already been offered a couple of instruments,
but as we'll be modifying them so the needle is driven by a step motor, we
may mess one or more up in the process, and more is better. I'll write

you
privately with my shipping address. Thanks fore your help, and the three
others who offered stuff directly.

Charles Petersen

Keep us posted on your progress. This sounds like an interesting project.

Bill Daniels

Old November 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Charles Petersen

We'll get back to this group when we have something working. It will remain
a work in progress for some time, with enough to 'get off the ground'
initially, followed by improvements and refinements. Watch this space. And
thanks to all who responded privately with encouragement.

Old December 1st 04, 04:48 AM
Oscar

An alternative might be to use Simkits. Check it out here
http://www.simkits.com/products.php?groupid=12 . This is stuff cockpit
builders in the simworld use and might be suitable for what you want to do
and maybe easier than to adapt real instruments.

And general on cockpit building here is another link that might be useful
http://www.dc3experience.com/building/

Oscar

,