FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Old December 26th 19, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

crepuscular

Why use an understandable word or phrase when you can say,
"crepuscular"?Â* Had to look it up.

On 12/26/2019 10:43 AM, George Haeh wrote:
From the Canada AIP:

"In the morning, civil twilight begins when the centre of the sun’s disc is 6°
below the horizon and is ascending, and ends at sunrise, approximately
25 minutes later. In the evening, civil twilight begins at sunset, and ends
when the centre of the sun’s disc is 6° below the horizon and is descending,
approximately 25 minutes later. The number of minutes varies depending
on the latitude and the time of year.
"

Horizon may be affected by relative terrain elevation in the crepuscular direction.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 26th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

“day” means the period of time from 15 minutes before sunrise to 15 minutes after sunset,
sunrise and sunset being as given in the publication “Times of Sunrise, Sunset and Local
Apparent Noon of the South African Astronomical Observatory” or in a similar publication issued
by a recognised astronomical observatory;

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:34:25 PM UTC+2, Dan Marotta wrote:
crepuscular

Why use an understandable word or phrase when you can say,
"crepuscular"?Â* Had to look it up.

From the Canada AIP:

Old December 26th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.
Old December 27th 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom
Old December 27th 19, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:19:00 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

2G - in your country, perhaps so; not in all. RAS is world-wide.
Old December 27th 19, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

Correct. I'm among the few lucky glider pilots with night flights endorsement. Three flights (patterns) with an instructor, three solo, the last one midnight to 12:08 AM. Didn't see the tow plane, just its navigation lights. The runway was a black hole, couldn't see it, but it was marked ny a row of tourist propane lamps, including the landing position. All practically spot landings, unforgettable. I know, it's off topic, great experience anyway.
Old December 27th 19, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 26 December 2019 19:22:36 UTC+2, wrote:
Intrigued by this post, I went searching for the SA AIP (http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Aeronauti...blication.aspx) to check what is called "day" in the local AIP. Although I found about 190 occurences of the words "day" or "daytime" in the GEN and ENR parts, I was unable to find a valid definition of these terms.

The SA AIP gives SR and SS tables for different Airports, but not for Douglas.

In my country, "day" is clearly defined in the AIP as SR-30' SS+30'; I know of other countries where it is between civil twilights. Where did you get the SR-15' SR+15' from?

"Day" is defined by the South African CAA as "The period of time from fifteen minutes before sunrise to fifteen minutes after sunset."

Source:
http://www.caa.co.za/Standards%20and...brevations.pdf
Old December 27th 19, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 27 December 2019 03:19:00 UTC+2, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

The South African CAA regulations require navigation lights, landing light(s) and a rotating beacon or strobe light to fly at night.

Aircraft operating lights
CAR 91.04.3 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate such aircraft by night unless, in addition to the equipment specified in regulation 91.04.5(1), the aircraft is equipped with –
(a) serviceable navigation lights;
(b) either –
(i) two serviceable landing lights; or
(ii) one single serviceable landing light housing with two separately energized
filaments;
(c) a serviceable rotating beacon or strobe light; and
(d) a serviceable electrical torch for each required crew member, readily accessible to such crew member when seated at his or her designated station.
(2) Power supplied from the electrical system of the aircraft shall –
(a) provide adequate illumination for all instruments and equipment, used by the flight crew and essential for the safe operation of the aircraft;
Old December 27th 19, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le vendredi 27 dĂ©cembre 2019 07:46:08 UTC+1, Surge a Ă©critÂ*:
On Thursday, 26 December 2019 19:22:36 UTC+2, wrote:
Intrigued by this post, I went searching for the SA AIP (http://www.caa..co.za/Pages/Aeronaut...blication.aspx) to check what is called "day" in the local AIP. Although I found about 190 occurences of the words "day" or "daytime" in the GEN and ENR parts, I was unable to find a valid definition of these terms.

The SA AIP gives SR and SS tables for different Airports, but not for Douglas.

In my country, "day" is clearly defined in the AIP as SR-30' SS+30'; I know of other countries where it is between civil twilights. Where did you get the SR-15' SR+15' from?

"Day" is defined by the South African CAA as "The period of time from fifteen minutes before sunrise to fifteen minutes after sunset."

Source:
http://www.caa.co.za/Standards%20and...brevations.pdf

Thanks for the source.
Old December 27th 19, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andrzop

Sunset at the landing site is at 19:23

https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=-29....&binoalt=-0.41