basic spar construction

Old December 10th 04, 02:54 PM
James R. Freeman

Dave for Your info. The Quickie and Q2 use a fiberglass build up spar as You
will see from the plans. The Q-200 uses a carbon fiber spar.
Yes the Quickie canard (front wing) can be removed.

Jim

"James R. Freeman" wrote in message
Dave:
I found the URL. It is:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=141

Jim

"Dave Schneider" wrote in message
after a bit of surfing i found this. Is something like this what you

are
talking about?

http://www.hinkleymall.com/airplane_cd.html

There is also this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=26441&item
=4510814564&rd=1

Basic question for the Quickie, do the wings disassemble? I'm also

looking
for techniques for attaching wings.

Thanks!
Dave

"James R. Freeman" wrote in message
Dave:
Take a look at the ruttan wings on a q-1 or q2 it will fit the

bill
for
what you want. There is one site on the web for free downloads of the

q2
info but I do not have the URL at hand. Q1 plan can be had on C.D. for

less
than $10 via EBay.

"Dave Schneider" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest some home built construction sites where they

show
the
process of building a spar for a foam composite wing. I'm confused

on
how
spar is built for a foam wing. It doesn't seem like the foam

itself
would
provide enough structure to provide a web. It would seem like

you'd
have
to cut the wing foil, cut out the location of the spar, build the

spar,
and
then reinstert that section back into the foam wing.

Thanks,
Dave

Old December 11th 04, 04:14 AM

Marske Gliders have a few articles on ther website,
http://www.continuo.com/marske/monarch/manual.htm

and here's a somewhat dated article by Jim Marske that'll probably be
very interesting to you
http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm

Good luck!

tffy

Old December 13th 04, 02:56 PM
Dave Schneider

Someone privately emailed me a link to this site, but I missed the carbon
rod article. Those are really cool looking gliders! Thanks for the
links!

oups.com...

Old December 13th 04, 05:34 PM
Dave Schneider

A went through the Q1 and Q2 plans this past weekend. Nowhere in the plans
did I see mention of what weight glass they are using for the unidirectional
and bidirectional glass.

Old December 13th 04, 10:55 PM
Bob K.

Earlier, Dave Schneider wrote:

A went through the Q1 and Q2 plans this
past weekend. Nowhere in the plans
did I see mention of what weight glass
they are using for the unidirectional
and bidirectional glass.

I believe that you'll find that, unless specified, they want you to use
RA7715 for UNI and RA7725 for BID. The 7725 (which I think is basically
the same as 7525) is about 9 oz and has a twill weave for good drape.
The 7715 (which I think is the same as 7515) is about 7 oz.
Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Old December 14th 04, 07:06 PM
Dave Schneider

Thanks. I see you are using the carbon rods too. (in reference to a
previous link: http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm)
oups.com...

Old December 15th 04, 01:45 AM
Fitzair4

Bates Engineering has a DOS computer program for designing a wing spar.

www.aeroOptimizer.com

I have met him and listen to his forums at Oshkosh many times.

Larry Fitzgerald
Old December 15th 04, 02:53 PM
Dave Schneider

Thanks. The prop optimizer is interesting too. My other interest is
hovercraft. Again, not an airplane, but it does have airplane components
.... and I guess it does fly ... even if it is only inches above the surface.
:-)
http://groups.msn.com/UH13p

I have emailed them and asked for the appropriateness of their programs for
my non-standard applications.

Old December 16th 04, 11:57 AM
B2431

From: "Dave Schneider"
Date: 12/14/2004 13:06 Central Standard Time
Thanks. I see you are using the carbon rods too. (in reference to a
previous link:
http://www.continuo.com/marske/carbon/carbon.htm)

That link didn't work for me.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired