LOM Mikron Engines

Old January 20th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default LOM Mikron Engines

Hi, I am thinking about building a Pietenpol Air Camper and need an
engine for it.
The LOM Mikron seemed to be a good choice, I heard it costs around 6K
US.
I called Moravia, the LOM distributor in Canada and they literally said
9.9K euro which is 12K US. I can probably buy a new 912UL for this
money.
Is seems to be crazy!
Did anyone buy this engine from them? Any experience with Moravia Inc?

Old January 20th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote

Hi, I am thinking about building a Pietenpol Air Camper and need an
engine for it.
The LOM Mikron seemed to be a good choice,

Is that not too heavy, even if the price was better? Also, take into
consideration where the center of gravity for the engine is. They are long
engines, and that makes weight problems even worse, in that the moment
places the weight further away from the firewall.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 20th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ron,thanks for the links
It is very common to mix up the Walter Minor and Walter Mikron. I guess
Jim was talking about the first one.
The Mikron is a brilliant engine, was designed in 1938 and is a real
jewel. But the price is totally off market, especially
if you don't have a spars supplier around.
look at their web site
http://www.parmatechnik.cz
the 75 HP Mikron looks good, eh?
well is the any NEW Lycomings/continentals below 100HP????

Old January 20th 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://www.moraviation.com/walter.html

But here is the engine you want...
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/

110hp or 150hp
Old January 20th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote But here is the engine you
want...
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/

110hp or 150hp

Damn straight! Cool engines. I saw the 2800 at Osh, and heard it run on
"something?"

Any rough idea on what they are getting for those jewels?

By the way, they are not "real" radial engines. They start way too
smoothly, run way too evenly, and leak far too little oil, for that! g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 20th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The Pietenpol Air Camper was designed to use a Ford Model B engine and
looks best with that. There was a direct drive Corvair and if crank
issues were resolved that would be good too.

The Jabiru is ridiculously overpriced for a powerplant that is NOT a
type certificated aircraft engine, or IMO even one that is. If it was
priced like an overhauled Corvair I would not be so negative. It should
probably cost three or four thousand dollars. They cannot blow the
traditional product liability manure that LyCon trots out as they are
judgmentproof and AFAIK carry no significant liability coverage. I
doubt anyone would sell it to them at their volume of manufacture.

If it WAS a type certified engine AND the local FBOs operating 150s
were getting them STCd to fly behind them for their rental fleets I
wouild concede they are then an aircraft engine. Of course there is
only one REAL aircraft engine below 1500 eshp, the P&WC PT-6A.

Old January 20th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I looked @ R 2800 in OSH, looks cool.
They offer it for 13.5 USD. As of aug 05 there were no engines with
over 500 hrs on them. So it kind of scary to spend 14 grand not being
sure if this guy is robust enough.
They say the TBO on R2800 is 1000hrs but as I say no proof so far.

Old January 20th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

BTW - on top of P@WC there is M14P (360HP), M14PF (400HP) but they a
bit big for the Piet . I saw a bunch of Pitts with the m14s in Osh

Old January 20th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

The real R-2800 was as its description implies a 2800 cid 18 cylinder
radial of up to 2200 hp! A real engine but thirsty and oil-slinging.