Newspapers and headlines...

Old August 19th 03, 05:37 PM
Tex Houston

Default Newspapers and headlines...

Above the story,in today's Gazette, of a possible recovery of a P-40 from a
Chinese lake is the headline "WWII jet will arise from lake". Simple case
of someone other than the reporter writing the headline? Hardly! The story
starts "BEIJING - Engineers and divers will use high-tech ocean searching
and mapping gear to lift an American fighter jet that crashed into a
southwestern Chinese lake during World War Ii, organizers said Monday.

The Associated Press should be ashamed of themselves, they once had
standards.

Regards,

Tex Houston

Old August 19th 03, 05:57 PM
Dudley Henriques

You know Tex, it just shows you how "advanced" the human race has become.
John Allison put a P40 into a lake near Kunming back in 1940 I think it was.
The Chinese came out about ten thousand strong and lowered a bamboo mat down
and stretched it under the airplane. John said he stood on the edge of the
lake and watched the whole thing. The Chinese pulled at the ends of the mat
and literally with hand power only, raised the airplane from the bottom. I'm
sure there was more to it than that, but John said that was the general gist
of it.
Now we have "modern science" :-)))
Isn't progress wonderful? :-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI
Retired

Old August 19th 03, 11:17 PM
tscottme

Did the AP report that his engine stalled or maybe the aircraft hit an
air pocket? I find that whenever something I know is reported in the
press it's barely recognizable in the reports. I keep this in mind when
they "report" on all other topics.

--

Scott
--------