Off in the weeds

Old August 28th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon Woellhaf

Default Keeping Pax of the stick. was Off in the weeds

Dudley,

Please tell the story of the T6 instructor removing and throwing his stick
overboard to signal the student that he was ready to solo.

Jon

Old August 28th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Michael Ash" wrote

Any suggestions for when the aircraft has tandem seating and the passenger
isn't physically accessible?

A 2 X 4 hidden along side the seat will make the passenger accessible. g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 28th 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dylan Smith

Default Off in the weeds

On 2007-08-27, Michael Ash wrote:
First, some context, for those unfamiliar with gliders. The takeoff is a
tricky operation, since you're balancingon a single wheel, and you're
effectively taking off in formation.

There's aerotow launches, and then there are winch launches. Try doing
that on a winch launch :-)

See http://www.alioth.net/Video/Winch-launch.mp4

Old August 28th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
john hawkins

What a great video. At last a video without some loud rock/heavy metal
background. Good cutting between views. Makes the whole thing dramatic. Bit
more dramatic than my winch launch experiences.
But a great video.

Old August 28th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:

That is how I foresee building, when I get going on one. I would
also make a permanent storage feature, easily and quickly accessible
while in flight, and a kind-of "funnel" to guide the stick into
place, even in turbulence.

Actually, that's what I've been considering doing.

Old August 28th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

On 2007-08-27, Michael Ash wrote:
First, some context, for those unfamiliar with gliders. The takeoff is a
tricky operation, since you're balancingon a single wheel, and you're
effectively taking off in formation.

There's aerotow launches, and then there are winch launches. Try doing
that on a winch launch :-)

See http://www.alioth.net/Video/Winch-launch.mp4

Yeah, I should have specified, although I'm sure it was pretty obvious.
Winch launching is something I really need to try someday. It's too bad
it's so rare in the US.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old August 28th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Dan Luke wrote:
I don't think they realized how
close they had come to getting hurt or killed.
Oh, well; another lesson learned. "Controls free and correct?" Maybe at the
moment you check, but watch out for anything that could interfere with them
while you're not looking.

When I was a really low-timer, my instructor once grabbed the yoke, pulled
the plane into a gentle rolling climb, locked his cross-controlled leg onto
the rudder pedal and didn't move.

He said, "I am your passenger and I just freaked out at what you did and I'm
not lettin' go for anything." Truth is, after 8 or so lessons, I didn't know
what to do. So I smacked his hand off the yoke. It didn't budge. We were
slowing down fast and continuing to roll left thru 30deg. I smacked his hands
again but he was frozen. 45 degrees roll and really in a weird, slow attitude
I panicked and punched his face. His hands went to his face immediately and I
kinda got the ol' 152 back in a reasonable attitude.
Turns out way back he had a student freeze on him and they went into a spin
until he could get control back. He expected me to just get more agressive on
his arms until he let go but I got scared and went the next step up.
An interesting lesson. One I hope I won't need to use cuz' I fly gliders now
and gettin your hands on someone in a K-21 or DuoDiscus ain't easy.

I hear that when flying the S 2-32s they take the stick out of the back seat.
O_o

Old August 29th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" wrote:

I panicked and punched his face. His hands went to his face immediately

Haw!

I bet that's the last time he tried that trick.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 29th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Euan Kilgour

It reminds me of a similar event that happened when I was right seat
in a Cherokee coming back from a small airshow in NZ. Chris (who does
post in r.a.p from time to time) was flying and we had been queuing at
the hold point for some time. It was about 5.15pm local and the day
had been fine and clear. I don't recall the exact temperature but it
would have been about 95F.

I was looking out the right hand window during the takeoff run looking
at the now lengthy line of aircraft waiting to take off from the two
runways available. Chris asked me if I had my feet on the brakes. I
recall mumbling something in reply which made him repeat his question
firmly. That got my attention and I replied clearly this time that my
feet were flat on the floor and clear of the pedals. I looked up and
the marker boards at the other end of the grass runway were fast
approaching and there were people ahead about 500 feet past the
threshold striking tents that had been in use during the airshow.

Chris made the decision to continue with the takeoff and we just got
into the air before running out of runway. We cleared the people past
the runway by about 40 feet and continued to slowly gain altitude and
airspeed. It was about that time I glanced at the CHT and it was a
lot hotter than it should have been, as we had been sitting stationary
on the ground with the engine running for at least 20 minutes.
Combined with the hot day (altitude was not an issue, the runways
elevation was only 12 feet above sea level), 4 people on board and a
hot engine, our takeoff performance was vastly impaired. As we set a
cruise climb attitude the CHT returned to normal and our climb rate
increased back to normal as well. The rest of the trip was
uneventful. We discussed the incident during the flight and talked
about what we would do differently next time. I think we both
realised how close we had come to what could have been a major
accident.