If GA is down, why aren't used aircraft prices?

Old August 27th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Default If GA is down, why aren't used aircraft prices?

A friend bought a 172 the asking price was 54k he offered 25 the guy called
a couple weeks later and took it. He put a 5k paint job on the plane and it
looks nice. No one thought he would get the plane. The guy needed the money
and had not another person even look at it.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

Mind you, this is a completely subjective observation on my part, but it
does seem accurate.

What is your data source? I've been watching Skylane prices for the last
year or so as I'm toying with ownership again and I've seen probably a
10% drop in prices in TAP over this time-frame.

Yep. Aviation Consumer just ran an article showing prices of most light
GA aircraft have declined since 2000.

Just try selling a 20+ -year old airplane these days; you'll find it
tough.

If I hadn't luckily met just the right buyer on a ramp in Mississippi, I'd
probably still be trying to sell my 1984 172RG.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 27th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Aluckyguess" wrote in :

A friend bought a 172 the asking price was 54k he offered 25 the guy
called a couple weeks later and took it. He put a 5k paint job on the
plane and it looks nice. No one thought he would get the plane. The
guy needed the money and had not another person even look at it.

es, for the most part they're pretty cheap at the moment, particularly if
they're thirsty. OTOH, little anteeks are increasing all the time.

Old August 27th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Dan Luke wrote:
"Dallas" wrote:

If the number of private pilots is down from 299,000 to 236,000, why
are prices for used aircraft maintaining and even out pacing
inflation?

That was true from 5-20 years ago, not now.

It may be that the percentage of pilots that purchase their own plane has
increased. Perfect example is right here in El Dorado AR. As I've mentioned
here pre-1980 there were 3 places to rent from as of 1988 there were zero.

So now if you fly you own your own airplane. There are fewer active pilots
here now but a lot more aircraft.

Old August 27th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:11:22 GMT, Mike Isaksen wrote:

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/staticcont...x_light_single

Wow.. that shoots down my subjective observations. Of course another flaw
in my method was looking at "asking" prices not "getting" prices.

And I'm a bit shocked at the effect September 2001 had on prices.

--
Dallas
Old August 27th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Dallas" wrote in message

If the number of private pilots is down from 299,000 to 236,000, why are
prices for used aircraft maintaining and even out pacing inflation?

Economics 101, first day of class - price is determined by supply and
demand. Yet I've noticed over the past couple of years the average price
for a late '70's Cessna 172 has floated up from $59,000 to $66,000.
Cessna 150s have gone from $22,000 to $26,000.

Mind you, this is a completely subjective observation on my part, but it
does seem accurate.

--
Dallas

Could there be demand for the 150's driving up price due to it being allowed
under the Sport Pilot rules?

--------------------------------
DW

Old August 27th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Darkwing wrote:

Could there be demand for the 150's driving up price due to it being
allowed under the Sport Pilot rules?

That might be the case if the 150 was legal under the SP rules. Unfortunatly
it isn't.

Old August 27th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Darkwing wrote:

Could there be demand for the 150's driving up price due to it being
allowed under the Sport Pilot rules?

That might be the case if the 150 was legal under the SP rules.
Unfortunatly it isn't.

Is the 152 or was there people trying to make the case for it to be allowed?

DW

Old August 27th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Dan Luke wrote:
"Dallas" wrote:

If the number of private pilots is down from 299,000 to 236,000, why
are prices for used aircraft maintaining and even out pacing
inflation?

That was true from 5-20 years ago, not now.

It may be that the percentage of pilots that purchase their own plane has
increased. Perfect example is right here in El Dorado AR. As I've
mentioned here pre-1980 there were 3 places to rent from as of 1988 there
were zero.

So now if you fly you own your own airplane. There are fewer active pilots
here now but a lot more aircraft.

And what is the population of aircraft? That's more significant than the
number of pilots.

IOW, what is the ratio of pilots to aircraft-in-service, now and 25 years
ago?

Old August 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Darkwing" wrote

Is the 152 or was there people trying to make the case for it to be
allowed?

Yep, people wanted to let the 152 and 150 to be allowed, but the weight came
in way lower than either would fit in.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Dallas" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:11:22 GMT, Mike Isaksen wrote:

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/staticcont...x_light_single

Wow.. that shoots down my subjective observations. Of course another flaw
in my method was looking at "asking" prices not "getting" prices.

And I'm a bit shocked at the effect September 2001 had on prices.

In early 2002 I got a barn-burner of a deal on a B36-TC from a guy who got
his ass reamed in the dot.com fallout and the subsequent economic woes post
9/11.

Gas Prices Newps Piloting 0 October 27th 05 09:17 PM
Gas Prices -- Help at last? Jay Honeck Piloting 327 October 16th 05 01:09 PM
Fuel Prices ~R Rotorcraft 0 September 10th 05 03:56 PM
Best prices for Engine Oil Dick Kurtz Owning 13 August 27th 05 01:27 AM
Gas Prices Tony Owning 19 April 16th 04 02:38 AM