Which Plane To Purchase

Old August 28th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JCforever

Default Which Plane To Purchase

Hi All

I'm 6' 7" tall, 270lbs and am looking to purchase my first airplane. I
am looking for make and model of a single engine aircraft that I would
be able to comfortably fit in. A lower seat position would be prefered
as well so my head isn't too close to the roof. Thanks

Old August 28th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 28, 11:07 am, JCforever wrote:
Hi All

I'm 6' 7" tall, 270lbs and am looking to purchase my first airplane. I
am looking for make and model of a single engine aircraft that I would
be able to comfortably fit in. A lower seat position would be prefered
as well so my head isn't too close to the roof. Thanks

I'm similar size (6'4" 225 lbs). I love the Mooney. You sit low with
your feet straight out in front of you vs. sitting upright like a
truck the way a Cessna or Bonanza are arranged. At 6'7" you'll have no
problem reaching the rudders in the Mooney (many pilots request
extensions because the plane was built for tall pilots). Having one
door makes sliding in and out more difficult but once you're in the
plane is tailor made for tall guys. BTW: My wife is 5'4" and even with
the 2" cushion she's never been able to see over the glareshield.

-Robert

Old August 28th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Really-Old-Fart

In rec.aviation.piloting, on Tue 28 Aug 2007 01:07:17p, JCforever
wrote:

Hi All

I'm 6' 7" tall, 270lbs and am looking to purchase my first airplane. I
am looking for make and model of a single engine aircraft that I would
be able to comfortably fit in. A lower seat position would be prefered
as well so my head isn't too close to the roof. Thanks

Perhaps an open cockpit aircraft?

Old August 29th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
S Green

wrote:

Hi All

I'm 6' 7" tall, 270lbs and am looking to purchase my first airplane. I
am looking for make and model of a single engine aircraft that I would
be able to comfortably fit in. A lower seat position would be prefered
as well so my head isn't too close to the roof. Thanks

Perhaps an open cockpit aircraft?

try an AN-2 - it should cope

Old August 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

S Green wrote:

try an AN-2 - it should cope

And bring an ice axe and roping for the climb to the cockpit. G

Old August 29th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JCforever

On Aug 28, 2:29 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
[...]

I went down to my local airport last night and a gentleman allowed me
to sit in his Mooney. I had more than enough room and as you said, my
feet were straight out in front. He did mention that a Mooney does
cost more to maintain but it's a great plane to fly cross country.

Old August 30th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor[_2_]

Good suggestion. I was told the Mooney brothers were pretty tall
themselves, hence the room.

John