ADIZ pilot's ticket revoked

Old May 24th 05, 02:45 PM
Matt Barrow

"George Patterson" wrote in message
news:Alyke.18428$4d6.5879@trndny04...
AES wrote:

As I read through the above I kept thinking more and mo despite the
first person wording, this just doesn't sound like something two
ordinary people would have written -- it sounds more and more like words
_very_ carefully crafted by an attorney.

Actually, it sounds like absolute and total bull**** to me.

Redundant, no?

Old May 24th 05, 02:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. ..
Recently, George Patterson posted:

AES wrote:

As I read through the above I kept thinking more and mo despite
the first person wording, this just doesn't sound like something two
ordinary people would have written -- it sounds more and more like
words _very_ carefully crafted by an attorney.

Actually, it sounds like absolute and total bull**** to me.

Especially the part about being "...treated well and proper..." by the
authorities. If I found myself spread-eagled on the ground at gunpoint,
this would not be my assessment of how I was treated.

Well, it sounds much nicer than would remarks about ****ting your pants.

Old May 24th 05, 02:53 PM
Bob Noel

In article om,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

No but if a third person is hit by that bullet that the police fires
the bank robber will usually be charged.

charged with what?! not getting in the way of a bullet?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old May 24th 05, 02:57 PM
George Patterson

Ron Natalie wrote:

Customs owns the blackhawks too. They're on loan to the DC area
security efforts. Helicopters are a bit more appropriate (if you're
not going to fire weapons) than jets for shooing away wayward light
planes.

Helicopters are fine even if you *are* going to fire weapons (though it is to be
hoped that Customs doesn't own any "gunships").

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 24th 05, 03:00 PM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

The guy sure did screw up. But at what point was "the life or property of
another" endangered as a direct result of his actions?

The minute the F-16s were scrambled.

Old May 24th 05, 03:04 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article om,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

No but if a third person is hit by that bullet that the police fires
the bank robber will usually be charged.

charged with what?! not getting in the way of a bullet?

Charged with first-degree murder. If your commission of a violent felony
leads to a death that otherwise would not have occurred, you have committed
first-degree murder (in most states), regardless of who fired the gun.

See http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/a...st_degree.html.

--Gary

Old May 24th 05, 03:07 PM
George Patterson

Greg Farris wrote:

I also find rather dubious that the chopper pilots placarded an unuseable
frequency for the wayward pilots to communicate on. Looks like there was more
than one blundering aircrew up there that day.

Seems quite understandable to me. They wanted him to use 121.5, which is SOP. It
turned out there was an ELT sounding in that area. Not only would you not know
that until you dialed in the frequency, but it's quite possible that the ELT was
not blocking the frequency a few miles or minutes before.

Old May 24th 05, 03:30 PM
George Patterson

Bob Noel wrote:
In article om,
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

No but if a third person is hit by that bullet that the police fires
the bank robber will usually be charged.

charged with what?! not getting in the way of a bullet?

IIRC, in Tennessee the name of the charge is "felony murder", that is, murder
due directly or indirectly to the fact that you are committing a crime.

Old May 24th 05, 03:55 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Greg Farris posted:

[...] The lethal danger
presented by the actions of law enforcement is - theoretically - a
danger that is controlled by experts in the interest of public
safety, and as such not a a danger to the public. If the police shoot
at a fleeing bank robber, and miss, do we charge the robber for
attempted murder, because he could have been killed?

Or, perhaps more to the point, do we charge the robber for the murder of
the bystander that the police accidentally shot?

Neil

Old May 24th 05, 03:57 PM
Matt Barrow

Ron Natalie wrote:

Customs owns the blackhawks too. They're on loan to the DC area
security efforts. Helicopters are a bit more appropriate (if you're
not going to fire weapons) than jets for shooing away wayward light
planes.

Helicopters are fine even if you *are* going to fire weapons (though it is

to be
hoped that Customs doesn't own any "gunships").

They do, or they have them available on very short notice.

And since about ten years ago, all federal officers are armed, including
Depts. of Education, HHS, Agriculture...