Does it have to WHITE!!!

Old June 26th 05, 03:37 AM

Big John wrote:
Fred

You forget about Henry Ford who said you can have a Model T in any
color as long as it's black.

I didn't forget. I'm not old enough to remember that in the first
place...

--

FF

Old June 27th 05, 03:14 PM

Sure glad I have a wooden airplane.

Dan

Old June 27th 05, 03:43 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 27 Jun 2005 07:14:26 -0700, wrote:

Sure glad I have a wooden airplane.

....unless, of course, you're using epoxy to hold it together.....

Ron "Hot Sauce for Gander" Wanttaja

Old June 27th 05, 05:36 PM
CB

I was thinking the same thing, Ron, but most of the structural epoxy in
a wooden bird is not in direct sun (unlike composite wing skins), and
wood is a lousy heat conductor. Of course, you never have to worry
about ANY part of your airplane getting exposed to the sun, living as
you do in the PacNW! :-^

Old June 27th 05, 05:40 PM
CB

OT re honeybee vision: They can see UV, not IR.

"...their vision is not sensitive to the same range of colors as ours.
Theirs is insensitive to red but detects ultraviolet light which is
invisible to us."

http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/Plan...bees/bees.html

Old July 12th 05, 09:32 PM
David Koehler

Greetings All,
I'm building a composite fuselage in South Texas, with out the aid of air
conditioning. Does anyone have some suggestions on getting the resin setup
time a little longer. I promote it for 85 degrees, I've tried a hotter
temperature but it doesn't set well. The temp in the garage is 95+. I've put
the resin container in a bucket of water and it helps a little.
I need to do a large piece and the only option I can see is scheduling
myself at 3am in the morning. It would be nicer if I could do it during the
day. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
david

Old July 12th 05, 10:13 PM
Edgar

"David Koehler" wrote in message
Greetings All,
I'm building a composite fuselage in South Texas, with out the aid of air
conditioning. Does anyone have some suggestions on getting the resin setup
time a little longer. I promote it for 85 degrees, I've tried a hotter
temperature but it doesn't set well. The temp in the garage is 95+. I've

put
the resin container in a bucket of water and it helps a little.
I need to do a large piece and the only option I can see is scheduling
myself at 3am in the morning. It would be nicer if I could do it during

the
day. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I'd do the layups first thing in the morning, when it's the coolest part of
the day.

Old July 13th 05, 11:09 AM
......... :-\)\)

Would help if you told us what sort of resin ... sounds like a Vinyl Ester
if you are promoting it but which one and what are you promoting it with and
in what quantities ? Are you vacuum bagging or is it just a conventional
wet layup ?

Old July 13th 05, 02:25 PM
MJC

Any really light, bright color should be fine, but white is definitely the
best for UV protection. Another question to ask yourself is if you'll be
keeping it in an enclosed hangar most of the time. If so, then it's almost a
non-issue.

MJC

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:34:32 -0400, "firstflight"
wrote:

:I have a composite kit aircraft, and it is time to paint! But I just

hate
:the idea of painting it WHITE (like most all the others). I understand

that
:HEAT is a big factor in this decision, and that white attracts the least
:amount of heat which could disrupt the Epoxy over time. Since my plane

is
:held together with Epoxy, this seems like a valid concern.
:
:What do you think people? Does it have to be white?? Could one choose a
:light yellow, light gray, silver,etc....... and not be pushing the

envelop
:too much?
:
:I happen to live in a very cool part of North America, so I am not too
:worried about regular heat (like someone in Arizona might be).

In Southern California I know of EZ's that are yellow, and Dick
Rutan's in Mojave is light blue. There's a beautiful Berkut in
England that's silver.

So, yes, it can be done if you are very, very careful. But do be VERY
VERY careful. Paint a sample panel, put it out at noon on one of the
hottest days of the year. Find out how hot it gets, check that
against the epoxy you're using AND the foam core - blue styrofoam
swells up when it gets too hot. It's not a cumulative problem - 4
years at 140 degrees won't do anything bad. 30 minutes at 200 degrees
and your airplane will be scrap.

Why are airplanes white? gatt Piloting 30 July 21st 04 02:55 PM
Nader calls White House Israel's puppet -ot Grantland Military Aviation 0 July 2nd 04 06:39 AM
White soot on exhaust R. Wubben Owning 4 April 19th 04 04:46 PM
Study shows USAF makeup mostly white, male Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 27th 04 10:01 PM