How to remove registration from fabric?

Old September 11th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default How to remove registration from fabric?

We've sold a 2-22 out of the country and Transport Canada requires us to remove the registration letters before they will deregister it.

Does anybody have experience in removing the registration from fabric aircraft?
Old September 11th 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 12:03:48 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
We've sold a 2-22 out of the country and Transport Canada requires us to remove the registration letters before they will deregister it.

Does anybody have experience in removing the registration from fabric aircraft?

We gently used a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and a plastic scraper.
Old September 11th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 10:23:31 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 12:03:48 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
We've sold a 2-22 out of the country and Transport Canada requires us to remove the registration letters before they will deregister it.

Does anybody have experience in removing the registration from fabric

More info needed:
What type of paint is on the ship?
Is the registration number the same paint or are the numbers stick on? Stick on can be remover with a heat gun and pealing.
If both are dope, you can soften the numbers with acetone/dope thinner, but this will probably loosen the underlying base paint? You might consider painting over the registration number using the base coat color. The new owner will then paint the new number over this area.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old September 11th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 11:03:48 AM UTC-6, George Haeh wrote:
We've sold a 2-22 out of the country and Transport Canada requires us to remove the registration letters before they will deregister it.

Does anybody have experience in removing the registration from fabric aircraft?

I hauled a glider from Canada to the US for a club and the Canadians simply spray painted over the registration. They certainly didn't remove them. But that was metal.
Old September 12th 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 10:03:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
We've sold a 2-22 out of the country and Transport Canada requires us to remove the registration letters before they will deregister it.

Does anybody have experience in removing the registration from fabric aircraft?

I have a lot of experience with fabric. If the N number is stick on a little heat gun action is called for. If it’s dope or paint just spray on top of it with whatever it is.
Old September 13th 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Thank you for all the replies. We had a close look at the 2-22 registration today.

There's a wide red band along the fuselage and it looks like the registration was made with masking tape that was removed after the red paint was applied. We'll simply apply red paint over the letters.