Instrument panel labelling options

Old November 16th 04, 01:20 AM
John Galban

Default Instrument panel labelling options

My buddy and I were putting the finishing touches on the RV-10
instrument panel this weekend, when we got to wondering about how to
label the breakers.

He's found a place across town that will silk screen the lettering
onto the painted panel. This presents a bit a of a pain in the butt
logistically and will also be pricey.

We were wondering if there are any good "do-it-yourself" ways to put
lettering on the instrument panel. On the RV-6 he used a label maker
with clear tape and black lettering. This looked good at first, but
the label material eventually yellowed and the labels proved to be
very difficult to remove and replace without scratching the panel's
paint.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? We're open to
suggestions.

Thanks,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 16th 04, 02:10 AM
Bill Daniels

Use a graphics program to lay out the labels. Print onto glossy photo paper
with a really good ink jet printer then get it laminated at Kinkos. You
will have to trim and cut holes for the breakers. Clamp it to the panel
with the breaker retaining nuts.

It won't look like a bizjet panel but it will look a lot better than label
maker stuff and it can be easily removed when you want something better.

om...

Old November 16th 04, 04:15 AM
Rich S.

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

So, does anyone have any recommendations? We're open to
suggestions.

The local bowling trophy shop will engrave some nice ones for very little
cash. The choice of backing materials is very wide - plastic or metal in a
variety of colors and finishes.

Rich S.

Old November 16th 04, 05:11 AM
Dave Hyde

John Galban wrote...

So, does anyone have any recommendations? We're open to
suggestions.

I bought some clear decal paper at a local hobby shop,
ran it through a laser printer, cut and wet, and stuck
'em on. Looks decent, and I could get the non-standard
stuff I wanted like a colored curved arrow on the canopy
latch. I also used clear applique' paper ('frisket'),
it seemed to hold up a little better and is easier to
apply, but it doesn't look as professional. If I were to
do it all over I'd accept the limitations and use frisket.

Jeez, people are *building* airplanes in the time it's taking
me to get 40 hours flown off. 1/2 g

Dave 'long distance information' Hyde

Old November 16th 04, 09:38 AM
smjmitchell

The guys where I work make these placards all the time for military and
civil aircraft mod programs.

Our prefered option is to draw the labels in ACAD and then send them out to
be photo etched onto an adhesive backed aluminium (just guessing this is
approx 0.012" thick). It doesn't cost much to have them made and they look
very professional. I think these placards are only a few bucks each. This is
common practice in the industry. If you want to know the exact material they
use yell out and I will find out. I think it is a 3M product but cannot be
sure off hand. We use a black background and the letters are etched to
expose the aluminium underneath.

The other common technique is to rout the placards from 'trafalite'. This is
a sandwich of several layers of plastic, usually black and white. The black
faces out and the letters are routed into the surface exposing the white
plastic underneath. Also common practise. There are plenty of people that
can make these for you but I think these are a little more expensive than
the first option.

Finally .... in backlit panels which sometimes mount circuit breakers there
is another interesting technique used. The panel is machined from a clear
acrylic. The letters for the placards are routed into the surface. The whole
panel is finished in matt black (in our case usually an NVG compatible
paint) and then a white wax material is rubbed into the groves of the
letters so that they show white against a black background. Lights then
shine through the plastic from the rear illuminating the panel. This last
one is not a homebuildable technique but I thought you might be interested.

OEM's often screen print the placards on the panels but as you rightly point
out there are logistical issues with this.

Old November 16th 04, 05:42 PM
Corrie

"smjmitchell" wrote in message u...
The guys where I work make these placards all the time for military and
civil aircraft mod programs.

Hey, this is a *homebuilt* forum! What's wrong with a Sharpie? WGDR
Old November 17th 04, 08:51 PM
rocky

A very professional method is to go to your local sign maker. Have him
cut your labels out of vinal.
They can cut them as small as 1/4 " tall. Then just peel and stick.
About as professional as you can get.

CNC or Laser cut instrument panel Bill Daniels Home Built 18 October 16th 04 12:06 PM
Panel Lights - Need Help Barnyard BOb - Home Built 2 May 29th 04 07:51 PM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 01:22 AM
Aluminum instrument panel finish? Richard Riley Home Built 31 February 4th 04 03:09 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM