Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Old November 24th 05, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Happy Thanksgiving, all!

As I sit here preparing for a flight to spend Thanksgiving with family and
friends, I'm reminded of how lucky all of us here are.

Remember to give thanks today for what we've got -- as pilots, we represent
less than 0.2% of the US population (and far less than that, on a global
scale). The opportunities we've been given by those who went before us
truly do represent mankind's highest aspirations for the last hundred
generations, and we truly are blessed.

From us to you, have a great Turkey Day, all!

(And to those in other countries, we'll try to eat some extra turkey and
dressing for ya today! *burp*)
--
Jay & Mary Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 25th 05, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

(And to those in other countries, we'll try to eat some extra turkey and
dressing for ya today! *burp*)

Same to you, Jay. We miss you all.

Thanksgiving was yesterday here in the Philippines. We had dinner at
the mission home with the mission president and his wife and a couple
of missionaries. Not wishing to buy a live turkey and slaughter it and
eat it ourselves, we had chicken. It was not bad, though, and Jane made
a nice dressing.

The best part was that the pumpkin pie was made from squash. Back in
the old days, canned 'pumpkin' was Hubbard squash, which is why it came
out of the can solid as a brick, not all runny like real pumpkin is.
But they decided that you can't call it pumpkin if it ain't pumpkin,
so... heavy sigh. This pumpkin pie tasted just like the ones I
remember as a kid. Oddly, the Filipinos did not seem to care for it.
They went more for the carrot pudding. They also thought that mashed
potatoes were a poor substitute for rice. :-) But I think the holiday
could eventually catch on here.

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in the Philippines, but they make a big
deal of All Hallows Eve and All Saints Day. No trick-or-treat. Instead,
everyone goes out to the cemetaries for a gigantic BBQ and they give
all the tombs a fresh coat of paint and decorate them with candles and
flowers. That is about as close to Thanksgiving as it gets around here
-- sort of Thanksgiving and Memorial Day rolled into one.

And, get this! I actually saw a small plane flying out of Laoag City
Airport the other day! I couldn't believe it. I think it was a Cessna
182, but it might have been a Skyhawk -- it was kind of far away. It
was the first small plane I have seen since we left the USA.

Old November 25th 05, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Are we supposed to be surprised that Filipinos don't celebrate Thanksgiving?
Remind me, is Thanksgiving not a US thing, strange that you know. I wonder
how many other countries don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Old November 25th 05, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris" wrote in message

Are we supposed to be surprised that Filipinos don't celebrate
Thanksgiving? Remind me, is Thanksgiving not a US thing, strange that you
know. I wonder how many other countries don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Take a hike, Chris. Your rude commentary was totally uncalled
for....

Old November 25th 05, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris" wrote in message

Actually, the concept of a "Day Of Thanks" predates our American holiday by
quite some time in many parts of the world:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/...line/1541.html

Jay B

Old November 26th 05, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris wrote:

Are we supposed to be surprised that Filipinos don't celebrate Thanksgiving?

Is everything I say supposed to be a surprise? Remind me, how many
other things do I say that are not a surprise? :-)

Old November 26th 05, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 25 Nov 2005 19:17:19 -0800, "cjcampbell"
wrote:

Is everything I say supposed to be a surprise? Remind me, how many
other things do I say that are not a surprise? :-)

Well, we're pretty sure you don't like the Cirrus.

Don
Old November 26th 05, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, we're pretty sure you don't like the Cirrus.

Then he hasn't flown one much, if at all. The more I fly mine, the more
I like it. 70 hours and counting in the last 11 weeks.
---
Ken Reed
N960CM
Old November 26th 05, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ken Reed" wrote

Then he hasn't flown one much, if at all. The more I fly mine, the more
I like it. 70 hours and counting in the last 11 weeks.

You had better like it, or at least say you like it, after dropping that
kind of cash on one.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

You had better like it, or at least say you like it, after dropping that
kind of cash on one.

True of any new aircraft these days.

Besides, without knowing someone's personal situation, you are making a
very big assumption.

--
Peter

A Meaningful Thanksgiving Day to all... Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 November 24th 05 07:52 AM
TSA and Thanksgiving Capt.Doug Piloting 0 November 26th 04 02:17 AM
Happy Thanksgiving gaylon9 Rotorcraft 0 November 25th 04 03:28 PM
Survey - 3 blade prop conversion- Cockpit vibration, happy or not Fly Owning 20 June 30th 04 05:32 PM
Happy Thanksgiving John Gaquin Piloting 1 November 26th 03 06:32 PM